relationship dropped for no apparent reason

dep

relationship dropped for no apparent reason

dep
greetings, everybody . . .

i've encountered a little problem with the relationship calculator. i can
do Tools > Utilities > Relationship calculator and choose, say, me and my
12th g-grandfather, and it comes up just fine. but if i then seek the
relationship between me and *his* father, instead of 13th g-grandfather i
get "are not related." after a couple of hours of poking around, i'm at a
loss. (i tried to seek a solution through an online search, but "gramps"
in search terms brings up a whole lot of unrelated stuff . . .)

is this a known bug, or am i doing something wrong?

thanks in advance.
--
dep

Some pictures:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album

Re: relationship dropped for no apparent reason

prculley
The tool should support up to 50 levels of relationships, so that is not the problem.  If you select the person who is not apparently related and the next person down in the tree, does that show a proper relationship?  I suspect an issue in the tree.

You might want to run "Tools/Utilities/Find database loop", in case you have an inadvertent confusion on a relationship.  That would indicate if any ancestor has a descendant for a parent etc.   I think that might prevent a proper relationship report.

Paul C.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 1:30 PM dep <[hidden email]> wrote:
greetings, everybody . . .

i've encountered a little problem with the relationship calculator. i can
do Tools > Utilities > Relationship calculator and choose, say, me and my
12th g-grandfather, and it comes up just fine. but if i then seek the
relationship between me and *his* father, instead of 13th g-grandfather i
get "are not related." after a couple of hours of poking around, i'm at a
loss. (i tried to seek a solution through an online search, but "gramps"
in search terms brings up a whole lot of unrelated stuff . . .)

is this a known bug, or am i doing something wrong?

thanks in advance.
--
dep

Some pictures:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album

Re: relationship dropped for no apparent reason

Have you looked at the "Max generations for relationships" value in the General tab under Edit->Preferences... ?

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#General

Be conservative.
Increasing the value slows Gramps because of the doubling of relationship permutations compares needing for each additional generation.

-Brian

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 13:30, dep
greetings, everybody . . .

i've encountered a little problem with the relationship calculator. i can
do Tools > Utilities > Relationship calculator and choose, say, me and my
12th g-grandfather, and it comes up just fine. but if i then seek the
relationship between me and *his* father, instead of 13th g-grandfather i
get "are not related." after a couple of hours of poking around, i'm at a
loss. (i tried to seek a solution through an online search, but "gramps"
in search terms brings up a whole lot of unrelated stuff . . .)

is this a known bug, or am i doing something wrong?

thanks in advance.
--
dep

Some pictures:

Re: relationship dropped for no apparent reason

"Check your Max generations for relationships" setting. Preferences >>
General tab.

Up the number and you should see the relationship.

dep

said Dave Scheipers:
| "Check your Max generations for relationships" setting. Preferences >>
| General tab.
|
| Up the number and you should see the relationship.

Thanks to you and everyone else who offered this solution -- fixed it!
--
dep

Some pictures:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album

Re: relationship dropped for no apparent reason

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Thanks for confirming. The section in the wiki has been revised. (And probably needs additional merciless editing!)

-Brian