remote desktop

Марина Брижатова
Hello everyone

Does Gramps have a remote desktop option or any other way how 2 people can work on one computer remotely? Will be very grateful for any tips.

Best regards,
Marina Brizhatova
WU/Telegram/Viber
+79651937583

Twitter 🇺🇸 Instagram 🇷🇺
YouTube 🇷🇺/🇺🇸 Web-site 🇺🇸

Re: remote desktop

Richard Nairn

Gramps itself wouldn't. Working remotely would be a function of your operating system.

Windows allows remote desktop sessions (one at a time), Linux also allows a variety of remote access methods. Depends on your setup.

Re: remote desktop

Марина Брижатова
Thank you for answers. That was not a good question, sorry. I found an option to put a database on a server and it will be enough. But do I have any button to lock some of my trees for another users voluntarily, not only while I'm working with them?

Best regards,
Marina Brizhatova
WU/Telegram/Viber
+79651937583

Twitter 🇺🇸 Instagram 🇷🇺
YouTube 🇷🇺/🇺🇸 Web-site 🇺🇸

пн, 13 янв. 2020 г. в 23:43, Richard Nairn <[hidden email]>:

Gramps itself wouldn't. Working remotely would be a function of your operating system.

Windows allows remote desktop sessions (one at a time), Linux also allows a variety of remote access methods. Depends on your setup.

Re: remote desktop

Hi Marina
Taken from
https://sqlite.org/faq.html

Question No 5

(5) Can multiple applications or multiple instances of the same
application access a single database file at the same time?

     Multiple processes can have the same database open at the same
time. Multiple processes can be doing a SELECT at the same time. But
only one process can be making changes to the database at any moment in
time, however.

     SQLite uses reader/writer locks to control access to the database.
(Under Win95/98/ME which lacks support for reader/writer locks, a
probabilistic simulation is used instead.) But use caution: this locking
mechanism might not work correctly if the database file is kept on an
NFS filesystem. This is because fcntl() file locking is broken on many
NFS implementations. You should avoid putting SQLite database files on
NFS if multiple processes might try to access the file at the same time.
On Windows, Microsoft's documentation says that locking may not work
under FAT filesystems if you are not running the Share.exe daemon.
People who have a lot of experience with Windows tell me that file
locking of network files is very buggy and is not dependable. If what
they say is true, sharing an SQLite database between two or more Windows
machines might cause unexpected problems.

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 13/01/2020 21:07, Марина Брижатова wrote:

> Thank you for answers. That was not a good question, sorry. I found an
> option to put a database on a server and it will be enough. But do I have
> any button to lock some of my trees for another users voluntarily, not only
> while I'm working with them?
>

> Best regards,
> Marina Brizhatova
> WU/Telegram/Viber
> +79651937583
>
> *Twitter <https://twitter.com/RU_Genealogist> *🇺🇸 Instagram
> <https://www.instagram.com/genealogyrocks/> 🇷🇺
> YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UXB6007mutIOUYIt_YLfw>
> 🇷🇺/🇺🇸 Web-site <http://GenealogyRocks.ru/en> 🇺🇸
>

> пн, 13 янв. 2020 г. в 23:43, Richard Nairn <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Gramps itself wouldn't. Working remotely would be a function of your
>> operating system.
>>
>> Windows allows remote desktop sessions (one at a time), Linux also allows
>> a variety of remote access methods. Depends on your setup.
>> On 2020-01-13 1:12 p.m., Марина Брижатова wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone
>>
>> Does Gramps have a remote desktop option or any other way how 2 people can
>> work on one computer remotely? Will be very grateful for any tips.
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Marina Brizhatova
>> WU/Telegram/Viber
>> +79651937583
>>
>> *Twitter <https://twitter.com/RU_Genealogist> *🇺🇸 Instagram
>> <https://www.instagram.com/genealogyrocks/> 🇷🇺
>> YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UXB6007mutIOUYIt_YLfw>
>> 🇷🇺/🇺🇸 Web-site <http://GenealogyRocks.ru/en> 🇺🇸

Re: remote desktop

GRAMPS - User mailing list
While some database engines support multiple users accessing a database simultaneously (with some in read-only mode), Gramps does not support this.

The first user causes the Tree to be flagged as 'locked.' The Gramps Tree Management dialog prohibits another person from opening any locked Tree.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 2:40, phil wharram via Gramps-users
> [...]

> Marina Brizhatova
> WU/Telegram/Viber
> +79651937583
>
> *Twitter <https://twitter.com/RU_Genealogist> *🇺🇸 Instagram
> <https://www.instagram.com/genealogyrocks/> 🇷🇺
> YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UXB6007mutIOUYIt_YLfw>
> 🇷🇺/🇺🇸 Web-site <http://GenealogyRocks.ru/en> 🇺🇸
>

> пн, 13 янв. 2020 г. в 23:43, Richard Nairn <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Gramps itself wouldn't. Working remotely would be a function of your
>> operating system.
>>
>> Windows allows remote desktop sessions (one at a time), Linux also allows
>> a variety of remote access methods. Depends on your setup.
>> On 2020-01-13 1:12 p.m., Марина Брижатова wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone
>>
>> Does Gramps have a remote desktop option or any other way how 2 people can
>> work on one computer remotely? Will be very grateful for any tips.

Thank you a lot!

Duncan, thank you a lot for this advice. I will think about it, untill now use the same way as you.

Best regards,
Marina Brizhatova
WU/Telegram/Viber
+79651937583