Quantcast

repairing a database

TJMcK
I worked in gramps for about 6 hours today. Then  at the end of the day gramps wouldn't close (after waiting about 5 min) so I forced a termination.  When I tried to reopen it the db was locked (which was no surprise), but then I got a message saying the dbase was corrupted.  No problem, I thought, run the repair.  But the repair button is not available.  When researching what to do I found the gramps wiki with the title "Recover corrupted family tree" https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_family_tree
This site described the exact errors that I'm getting, but the fix seems outdated.  It says that I should install the "bsddb recovery tools" - but my database is using v.5 and there is no version 5 recovery tools that I could find on the internet.  Is there some alternative repair tool that I could use to try and fix my data?

Re: repairing a database

enno
Tim,

> I worked in gramps for about 6 hours today. Then  at the end of the day
> gramps wouldn't close (after waiting about 5 min) so I forced a termination.
> When I tried to reopen it the db was locked (which was no surprise), but
> then I got a message saying the dbase was corrupted.  No problem, I thought,
> run the repair.  But the repair button is not available.  When researching
> what to do I found the gramps wiki with the title "Recover corrupted family
> tree"
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_family_tree
> This site described the exact errors that I'm getting, but the fix seems
> outdated.  It says that I should install the "bsddb recovery tools" - but my
> database is using v.5 and there is no version 5 recovery tools that I could
> find on the internet.  Is there some alternative repair tool that I could
> use to try and fix my data?
It's there, but you need to know what to look for in Synaptic or the
software manager. Try "db-util", and you will probably get what you
need. It worked on my Linux Mint 16 (based on Ubuntu 13.10). The version
that I got is 5.1.

regards,

Re: repairing a database

TJMcK
This situation is driving me crazy   Here"s what's happened:

I found the db_util file in synaptic... thanks enno. (I did a search for keywords: bsddb and/or recovery -- nothing -- because the recovery util is within the db-util package and the description does not contain either of the keywords)

I ran recovery with "-e" -- no errors, but it ran for less then a second for my db of 200k people. (did this after I backed up the db folder)

Ran gramps and got the same error message -- but I noticed that it was an environmental error (it may have been environmental before too...) -- this is where I got confused as the preferences in gramps pointed to the db folder: ~/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/  BUT then I decided to look in the .gramps folder and what I found was all my data files in a "grampsdb" folder!!  And they have similar file mod dates!

So I started gramps again, changed the db folder to ~/.gramps/grampsdb/  Then I restarted gramps. Tried to open the dbase I'm trying to fix and I get a low-level error -- when gramps opens the dbase it is empty (but when I check the dbase files they are large (like 200k people files should be).

I'm at a loss what to do next... is gramps getting confused  (I know I am) -- when and why did gramps create a duplicate grampsdb folder?  What should I do?

Forgot to mention: I ran the "check and repair" tool on the .gramps/grampsdb and I got the following error:
1318267: ERROR: tool.py: line 259: Failed to start tool.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/gramps/gui/plug/tool.py", line 255, in gui_tool
    tool_class(dbstate, uistate, options_class, name, callback)
  File "/usr/share/gramps/plugins/tool/Check.py", line 150, in __init__
    with DbTxn(_("Check Integrity"), self.db, batch=True) as trans:
  File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/db/txn.py", line 115, in __init__
    self.commitdb = grampsdb.get_undodb()
AttributeError: 'DbBsddbRead' object has no attribute 'get_undodb'

Re: repairing a database

TJMcK
Well a spent a few hours today looking for a fix... nothing that I tried worked.  Just to summarize what the current situation is:
I seem to have two copies of the same database -- one is about a day newer then the other.  If I could repair - recover either one of these that would be great.

The one database (newest) actually seems to have a small error, but I still am unable to fix.  This is the terminal output:
2014-04-21 17:53:21.672: ERROR: dbloader.py: line 93: Invalid argument -- __db_meta_setup: /home/tim/.gramps/grampsdb/534a0c13/family.db: unexpected file type or format

The other database appears to have a lot of corrupted files.  The terminal output is:
2014-04-21 18:02:49.917: WARNING: write.py: line 593: Error opening db environment: (-30973, 'DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery -- process-private: unable to find environment')

I've backed-up both database folders.  I've run recover -e with both dbases -- the second dbase give another error after recover is run (the other-first db has no errors when running recovery)  I've tried deleting certain files and creating new folders from newly created file, etc -- nothing has worked.

But if anyone has a suggestion, I'm open to trying anything at this point...

Re: repairing a database

enno
Tim,
> Well a spent a few hours today looking for a fix... nothing that I tried
> worked.  Just to summarize what the current situation is:
> I seem to have two copies of the same database -- one is about a day newer
> then the other.  If I could repair - recover either one of these that would
> be great.
Are both listed when you type gramps -l ?

> The one database (newest) actually seems to have a small error, but I still
> am unable to fix.  This is the terminal output:
> 2014-04-21 17:53:21.672: ERROR: dbloader.py: line 93: Invalid argument --
> __db_meta_setup: /home/tim/.gramps/grampsdb/534a0c13/family.db: unexpected
> file type or format
>
> The other database appears to have a lot of corrupted files.  The terminal
> output is:
> 2014-04-21 18:02:49.917: WARNING: write.py: line 593: Error opening db
> environment: (-30973, 'DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery --
> process-private: unable to find environment')
This may sound silly, but have you tried opening either one in Gramps? I
ask, because when I looked at the source code to figure out whether log
files could be suppressed, I found that the database is always opened in
recover mode (and autoremove too). This means that once you've removed
the lock, you can simply try opening the database again, and see what
you get.

Last week, I forced Gramps to close during a 100k GEDCOM import. There
were some log files in the database folder then, and it was locked, but
once I'd had Gramps remove the lock, and open the corrupted database,
the database worked, with all the extra persons rolled back, and the
database folder was clean again.

Since you have a backup, you have nothing to loose, but maybe you did
try this already. And if things still go wrong, please post an ls -l on
your database folder(s) here. It may give us another clue.

regards,

Re: repairing a database

TJMcK
Yes, I believe that I've had gramps unlock the database and then asked it to open the unlocked database -- with the resulting environmental error.

Below is a spreadsheet that sits on my desktop, that I made of the db details (that came from gramps -l):

Re: repairing a database

Martin Steer-2
On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 07:06:26PM -0700, TJMcK wrote:
>Well a spent a few hours today looking for a fix... nothing that I tried
>worked.  Just to summarize what the current situation is:
>I seem to have two copies of the same database -- one is about a day newer
>then the other.  If I could repair - recover either one of these that would
>be great.

Not a solution for your current problem, but once you have that fixed, I
strongly suggest you make regular external (human readable) backups of
your database (see under the Family Trees menu).

M.

Re: repairing a database

TJMcK
Martin. I almost always do a backup every two or three days -- and I do have one that's a few days old.  But in this case I did a lot of work in one day and the work that I did were entries that I probably can't replicate. :(

I've thought of doing a auto backup every night, but that wouldn't have even been enough in this case...  I wish gramps could do backups while you work, like in a lot of office applications.  A few years ago I was working with multiple tabbed spreadsheets in excel, they were huge files, and when Excel did an auto backup (every 10 minutes), I would go get a coffee because it would take a few minutes on a very fast computer.  If gramps could find a way to speedup the backup (eg external app that uses 100% of all avail cpus), I would be happy to wait a few minutes midway through my work... I just get so absorbed in my work that it's to much for me to go do a manual backup every XX minutes (partly because I lose track of time).  Gramps forcing me to take a break would work best for me and the way I do my work.

Fast binary backups (was Re: repairing a database)

How much programming would it take to use Python multiprocessing and binary
formats to quickly dump the contents of tables into arrays which you then
tar up. Heck, even just lock the tables, flush them and copy the .db files
into a timestamped subdirectory.

Sure it would be tied to a specific bdb and Gramps versions, but that's far
secondary to the primary goal of uber-fast backups.

On 04/22/2014 07:34 PM, TJMcK wrote:

> Martin. I almost always do a backup every two or three days -- and I do have
> one that's a few days old.  But in this case I did a lot of work in one day
> and the work that I did were entries that I probably can't replicate. :(
>
> I've thought of doing a auto backup every night, but that wouldn't have even
> been enough in this case...  I wish gramps could do backups while you work,
> like in a lot of office applications.  A few years ago I was working with
> multiple tabbed spreadsheets in excel, they were huge files, and when Excel
> did an auto backup (every 10 minutes), I would go get a coffee because it
> would take a few minutes on a very fast computer.  If gramps could find a
> way to speedup the backup (eg external app that uses 100% of all avail
> cpus), I would be happy to wait a few minutes midway through my work... I
> just get so absorbed in my work that it's to much for me to go do a manual
> backup every XX minutes (partly because I lose track of time).  Gramps
> forcing me to take a break would work best for me and the way I do my work.

"Mathematics deals exclusively with the relations of concepts to each
other without consideration of their relation to experience."
Albert Einstein

Re: repairing a database

paul womack
TJMcK wrote:
> Martin. I almost always do a backup every two or three days -- and I do have
> one that's a few days old.  But in this case I did a lot of work in one day
> and the work that I did were entries that I probably can't replicate. :(

Speaking as a computer programmer who once lost 2 days code...

I recreated it in 2 hours, which surprised me.

You know the answers, and you know the dead ends. It speeds
things no end.

  BugBear

Re: repairing a database

TJMcK
Mmmm... is the data in gramps like the code in an application?  Maybe for some, family history is black and white -- either it works or you get error messages...

For me it's like a puzzle with a million pieces (220,000 and growing in my case) and you don't know the picture (I like the history part of family history). Sometimes you get more then one piece in the same place... and you don't know that you have a problem until you have a larger part of the puzzle completed.  At times I get "revelations" of what the picture could be and how it fits together.  I use a lot of notes and sources so that I can reconstruct the reasons for putting certain pieces together.  To me discovering the relationships of a family never is complete, you always find more stories and more pieces that make the picture make sense.  With that said, the sources that I used, and the discoveries that I made in those six hours are not exactly replicable... and I'm afraid I might not end up with the same conclusion.  Maybe it would be like if you tried to write the same code again and you ended up with an application that did something totally different (fortunately you know where you're going when you write code -- at least some times). :)

Sorry to all, for this off topic message, but I just had this picture of a puzzle in my head when I read Pau'ls message... and I couldn't keep myself from sharing it... and besides, I have nothing to do while my database is corrupted and I can't type out my revelations.

Re: repairing a database

Tim,

> I've thought of doing a auto backup every night, but that wouldn't have even
> been enough in this case...  I wish gramps could do backups while you work,
> like in a lot of office applications.  A few years ago I was working with
> multiple tabbed spreadsheets in excel, they were huge files, and when Excel
> did an auto backup (every 10 minutes), I would go get a coffee because it
> would take a few minutes on a very fast computer.  If gramps could find a
> way to speedup the backup (eg external app that uses 100% of all avail
> cpus), I would be happy to wait a few minutes midway through my work... I
> just get so absorbed in my work that it's to much for me to go do a manual
> backup every XX minutes (partly because I lose track of time).  Gramps
> forcing me to take a break would work best for me and the way I do my work.
I understand the idea, and assume that the standard backup from the menu
takes quite long on your database. Have you tried that? It's not
automated, so it takes some discipline from you, but it would be quite
safe, because you get a gzipped XML with that.

My own PC broke down monday night, and on that, I used FreeFileSync
about every other day to create a full backup of my home directory,
including hidden files. That backup saved my day, when I put Xubuntu
14.04 on my old PC yesterday, and got all the files that I backed up
saturday.

You can download it from

http://www.fosshub.com/FreeFileSync.html

or follow the instructions on the bottom of that page to add the
repository to Ubuntu and get updates for it too. I don't normally use it
on open files, but think that it can be done. It can also be automated.
Copying open files may copy corruption too, so it may still not be a
good idea, unless you allow versioning. That is mentioned on the
download page, but I haven't tested it myself.

regards,

Re: repairing a database

Josip-3
Dana 21.4.2014. 19:38, TJMcK je napisao:

> This situation is driving me crazy   Here"s what's happened:
>
> I found the db_util file in synaptic... thanks enno. (I did a search for
> keywords: bsddb and/or recovery -- nothing -- because the recovery util is
> within the db-util package and the description does not contain either of
> the keywords)
>
> I ran recovery with "-e" -- no errors, but it ran for less then a second for
> my db of 200k people. (did this after I backed up the db folder)

Do hotbackup of your database and that will try simple recovery on that.
Get db env directory with "gramps -l" and use result in "-h" switch,

db_hotbackup -h FOO -b BAR -v

BAR directory will be created if they not exist.
If got complains about env don't exist use "-F" switch.

If everything goes well start Gramps and set database path to BAR and
try to load it, if not post result (always use "-v" for verbosity)

--
Josip

Re: repairing a database

TJMcK
Josip-3 wrote
Do hotbackup of your database and that will try simple recovery on that.
Get db env directory with "gramps -l" and use result in "-h" switch,

db_hotbackup -h FOO -b BAR -v

BAR directory will be created if they not exist.
If got complains about env don't exist use "-F" switch.

If everything goes well start Gramps and set database path to BAR and
try to load it, if not post result (always use "-v" for verbosity)
This is all new to me so I need you to elaborate on a few things...

1) Do I run the db_hotbackup command in the folder with the corrupted database?
2) Can you give an example of how I use the gramps -l result in the -h switch?
3) And if I need to run the -F switch, do you mean: db_hotbackup -F (by itself?)
4) Will BAR be the name of the folder?
5) Are you saying I should use Gramps -v -- if I need to post errors?

Re: repairing a database

Josip-3
Dana 24.4.2014. 9:04, TJMcK je napisao:

> Josip-3 wrote
>> Do hotbackup of your database and that will try simple recovery on that.
>> Get db env directory with "gramps -l" and use result in "-h" switch,
>>
>> db_hotbackup -h FOO -b BAR -v
>>
>> BAR directory will be created if they not exist.
>> If got complains about env don't exist use "-F" switch.
>>
>> If everything goes well start Gramps and set database path to BAR and
>> try to load it, if not post result (always use "-v" for verbosity)
>
> This is all new to me so I need you to elaborate on a few things...
>
> 1) Do I run the db_hotbackup command in the folder with the corrupted
> database?

It is not necessary just use "-h" to tell where your database is
(if data and log files is in different directories then use "-d" and
"-i" switchs)

> 2) Can you give an example of how I use the gramps -l result in the -h
> switch?
> 3) And if I need to run the -F switch, do you mean: db_hotbackup -F (by
> itself?)
> 4) Will BAR be the name of the folder?
> 5) Are you saying I should use Gramps -v -- if I need to post errors?

## For example this is done in Windows but commands is same as Linux one

c:\>python2 gramps.py -l
List of known Family Trees in your database path
C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\grampsdb\534a411b with name "py27master"
C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\grampsdb\534a419e with name "py3master"
C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\grampsdb\53595365 with name "test1"

## Now lets say i want "test1" to backup

c:\>mkdir C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\backups
c:\>db_hotbackup -Fv -h C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\grampsdb\53595365 -b
C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\backups\test1

db_hotbackup: BDB5032 hot backup started at Thu Apr 24 20:19:50 2014
db_hotbackup: BDB0724 copying database
C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\grampsdb\53595365\tag_name.db to
C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\backups\test1\tag_name.db
db_hotbackup: BDB0724 copying database
C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\grampsdb\53595365\tag.db to
C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\backups\test1\tag.db
db_hotbackup: BDB0724 copying database
C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\grampsdb\53595365\surnames.db to
C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\backups\test1\surnames.db
db_hotbackup: BDB0724 copying database
C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\grampsdb\53595365\source_id.db to
C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\backups\test1\source_id.db
db_hotbackup: BDB0742 lowest numbered log file copied: 4
db_hotbackup: BDB5040 C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\backups\test1: run
catastrophic recovery
db_hotbackup: BDB2526 Finding last valid log LSN: file: 4 offset 2744340
db_hotbackup: BDB1514 Recovery starting from [4][28]
db_hotbackup: BDB1518 Recovery complete at Thu Apr 24 20:19:51 2014
db_hotbackup: BDB1519 Maximum transaction ID 80008f76 recovery
checkpoint [4][2744340]
db_hotbackup: BDB5041 C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\backups\test1: remove
unnecessary log files
db_hotbackup: BDB5042 hot backup completed at Thu Apr 24 20:19:51 2014

c:\>python2 Gramps.py -c behavior.database-path:C:\GRAMPSTEST\gramps\backups
Current Gramps config setting:
behavior.database-path:u'C:\\GRAMPSTEST\\gramps\\grampsdb'
     New Gramps config setting:
behavior.database-path:'C:\\GRAMPSTEST\\gramps\\backups'

--
Josip

Re: repairing a database

TJMcK
Thanks for the extra details... I think that I was able to run db_hotbackup correctly, but it had errors and ultimately failed.  Here is the output:
---------------------------
~ $ db_hotbackup -Fv -h /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13 -b /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups
db_hotbackup: hot backup started at Thu Apr 24 14:10:12 2014
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/tag.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/tag.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/source_id.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/source_id.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/event_id.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/event_id.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/citation.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/citation.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/name_group.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/name_group.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/person.gbkp.new to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/person.gbkp.new
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/repo_id.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/repo_id.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/pythonversion.txt to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/pythonversion.txt
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/person.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/person.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/family.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/family.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/citation_id.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/citation_id.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/place_id.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/place_id.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/place.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/place.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/bdbversion.txt to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/bdbversion.txt
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/name.txt to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/name.txt
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/source.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/source.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/meta_data.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/meta_data.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/reference_map.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/reference_map.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/undo.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/undo.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/referenced_map.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/referenced_map.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/surnames.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/surnames.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/tag_name.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/tag_name.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/repo.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/repo.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/event.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/event.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/media.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/media.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/person_id.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/person_id.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/family_id.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/family_id.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/note_id.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/note_id.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/lock to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/lock
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/primary_map.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/primary_map.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/note.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/note.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/media_id.db to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/media_id.db
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/log.0000000405 to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/log.0000000405
db_hotbackup: copying /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/log.0000000406 to /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups/log.0000000406
db_hotbackup: lowest numbered log file copied: 405
db_hotbackup: /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups: run catastrophic recovery
Finding last valid log LSN: file: 406 offset 1039480
Recovery starting from [405][28]
db_hotbackup: Log sequence error: page LSN 268 977972; previous LSN 401 7752339
db_hotbackup: Recovery function for LSN 405 3971 failed on forward pass
db_hotbackup: PANIC: Invalid argument
db_hotbackup: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
db_hotbackup: /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/reference_map.db: write failed for page 18918
db_hotbackup: /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/534a0c13/reference_map.db: unable to flush page: 18918
db_hotbackup: process-private: unable to find environment
db_hotbackup: DB_ENV->open: /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
db_hotbackup: HOT BACKUP FAILED!

I have a similar database in a different folder, I will now try and run db_hotbackup with that database.

Re: repairing a database

TJMcK
Josip. I ran db_hotbackup on the second similar database, and all went well... no errors!  But after changing the default database folder with "gramps -c behavior.database-path:/home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups", gramps opened and the list of "family tree names" is blank.  It appears that the backup isn't recognized by gramps.  Any suggestions?

Re: repairing a database

Josip-3
Dana 24.4.2014. 23:31, TJMcK je napisao:
> Josip. I ran db_hotbackup on the second similar database, and all went
> well... no errors!  But after changing the default database folder with
> "gramps -c
> behavior.database-path:/home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups", gramps
> opened and the list of "family tree names" is blank.  It appears that the
> backup isn't recognized by gramps.  Any suggestions?

If you use before:
-b /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/backups
then now use:
/home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3
as database path

--
Josip

Re: repairing a database

TJMcK
Alright, I got gramps to recognize the backup files.  However, I get a "low-level" error (which is the same as before -- and so db_hotbackup didn't fix this...) The is the error msg: 31773: ERROR: dbloader.py: line 93: Invalid argument -- __db_meta_setup: /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/backup2/family.db: unexpected file type or format

(In reality, db_hotbackup didn't change any of the errors that I'm getting on any of the recent databases)

Re: repairing a database

Josip-3
Dana 25.4.2014. 0:21, TJMcK je napisao:
> Alright, I got gramps to recognize the backup files.  However, I get a
> "low-level" error (which is the same as before -- and so db_hotbackup didn't
> fix this...) The is the error msg: 31773: ERROR: dbloader.py: line 93:
> Invalid argument -- __db_meta_setup:
> /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/backup2/family.db: unexpected
> file type or format

Maybe try db_dump them.
db_dump -h /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/backup2
family.db > family.txt

And then reload them:
db_load -h /home/tim/AllData/files-apps/Gramps3/grampsdb/backup2
family.db < family.txt

If not working use db_dump with "-r" or if that not works with "-R" switch

--
Josip