resources for European research

John Allen
I am from the UK and I am starting to do some research into my family
but so far just about every resource I have tried seems to be
concentrated on the US. For example I tried using find-a-grave, the only
results I got were for the US despite the fact I had entered England as
the place of death & burial. I had similar problems with ancestry, and
several others.

Advice welcome

JohnA

Re: <SPAM>: resources for European research

Mary Lynch
On 21/02/2017 14:30, John Allen wrote:
I am from the UK and I am starting to do some research into my family
but so far just about every resource I have tried seems to be
concentrated on the US. For example I tried using find-a-grave, the only
results I got were for the US despite the fact I had entered England as
the place of death & burial. I had similar problems with ancestry, and
several others.

Advice welcome
Ancestry does have a good range of English records (I'm not sure about other UK countries), though they can be hard to find, especially if you are using an institutional subscription. Try looking through ancestry's Card Catalogue and searching by individual dataset.

familysearch.org also has UK sources (and is free). Also freebmd and freereg, and the new GRO indexes.

Other subscription sites include findmypast, thegenealogist and deceasedonline

For Irish records, try http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search, rootsireland and https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

Are there any particular places, record types or time periods you are interested in?

Re: resources for European research

tonyjackson
 JohnA wrote:

I am from the UK and I am starting to do some research into my family
but so far just about every resource I have tried seems to be
concentrated on the US. For example I tried using find-a-grave, the only
results I got were for the US despite the fact I had entered England as
the place of death & burial. I had similar problems with ancestry, and
several others.

Best regards, Tony.

Tony Jackson
Devon, UK.

Re: resources for European research

amangen
Dear John,

>I am from the UK and I am starting to do some research into my family
>but so far just about every resource I have tried seems to be
>concentrated on the US. For example I tried using find-a-grave, the
>only results I got were for the US despite the fact I had entered
>England as the place of death & burial. I had similar problems with
>ancestry, and several others.

Did you disable cookies in your browser?

Cheers,
Anestis

Re: <SPAM>: resources for European research

Phylis Sophical
These are fantastic resources. I've already found a couple of UK relatives through freebmd. Thanks
Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10

Re: <SPAM>: resources for European research

Nigel F
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: <SPAM>: resources for European research

Nigel F
The most complete and valuable resource of links to UK resources that I know of is GENUKI here:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/

HTH