rip off ?

Benny Malengier
In light of somebody talking about family tree maker, while in reality showing screenshots of what is Gramps, can somebody on windows download and install (after virus check):
As there are no screenshots on that website, I'm wondering if it is not Gramps repackaged.

Re: rip off ?

Omar Kohl
Hi,

I had a look at the website and found this in the Terms of service (http://thefamilytreemaker.org/terms.php):

"Free Family Tree Maker is based on open-source family tree maker - Gramps. This will be clarified shortly and this text amended accordingly."

Omar

El 03/02/13 14:07, Benny Malengier escribió:
In light of somebody talking about family tree maker, while in reality
showing screenshots of what is Gramps, can somebody on windows download and
install (after virus check):

http://thefamilytreemaker.org

As there are no screenshots on that website, I'm wondering if it is not
Gramps repackaged.

Omar Kohl

Emails are not secure! They can be read and even modified by a
third party.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email#Privacy_concerns

Use OpenPGP for secure encryption: Thunderbird & Enigmail are
free and easy to configure.

Re: rip off ?

Helge.Herz-2
For security reason I tried the installer in my WinXP virtual machine and got an error message:
GRAMPSAIO 3.4.0 Installation
This installer requires x64 Windows

It seems your wondering has a real background.
-Helge
Am 03.02.2013 14:07, schrieb Benny Malengier:
In light of somebody talking about family tree maker, while in reality showing screenshots of what is Gramps, can somebody on windows download and install (after virus check):
As there are no screenshots on that website, I'm wondering if it is not Gramps repackaged.

Re: rip off ?

Gary Burton
Looks like you are right. I installed it in wine and it's Gramps AIO 64 bit, plus some other stuff. I am not running 64 bit so it doesn't install fully.

See the screenshots.

This is a bit naughty - distributing Gramps under a different name.

Bye

Gary

In light of somebody talking about family tree maker, while in reality showing screenshots of what is Gramps, can somebody on windows download and install (after virus check):
As there are no screenshots on that website, I'm wondering if it is not Gramps repackaged.

image1.png (27K) Download Attachment
image2.png (5K) Download Attachment

Re: rip off ?

DS Blank
Using whois on the domain thefamilytreemaker.org gives some details on who registered the domain. A search on "Glaron LTD Manoli Kalomoiri, 7, P.C. Loucas vashiotis court" also shows they have a history of phishing:

Country code on whois "CY" (Cyprus).

Dirty business.

-Doug

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:
In light of somebody talking about family tree maker, while in reality showing screenshots of what is Gramps, can somebody on windows download and install (after virus check):
As there are no screenshots on that website, I'm wondering if it is not Gramps repackaged.

Re: rip off ?

Gary Burton
I suppose distributing Gramps under a different name is OK as long as the terms of the GPL is complied with. However, I am guessing that Gramps hasn't been forked and the web site itself doesn't give any indication that money is required in exchange for the software so I wonder about the motive. Maybe Gramps is being used as a lure to get people to install the 'other stuff'?

Bye

Gary

In light of somebody talking about family tree maker, while in reality showing screenshots of what is Gramps, can somebody on windows download and install (after virus check):
As there are no screenshots on that website, I'm wondering if it is not Gramps repackaged.

Re: rip off ?

Gary Burton
But I should add that Ancestry (owners of the real FTM) wouldn't be too happy about some version of Gramps being distributed using that name.

Bye

Gary

I suppose distributing Gramps under a different name is OK as long as the terms of the GPL is complied with. However, I am guessing that Gramps hasn't been forked and the web site itself doesn't give any indication that money is required in exchange for the software so I wonder about the motive. Maybe Gramps is being used as a lure to get people to install the 'other stuff'?

Bye

Gary

In light of somebody talking about family tree maker, while in reality showing screenshots of what is Gramps, can somebody on windows download and install (after virus check):
As there are no screenshots on that website, I'm wondering if it is not Gramps repackaged.

Re: rip off ?

Hi Gary,
I suppose distributing Gramps under a different name is OK as long as the terms of the GPL is complied with. However, I am guessing that Gramps hasn't been forked and the web site itself doesn't give any indication that money is required in exchange for the software so I wonder about the motive. Maybe Gramps is being used as a lure to get people to install the 'other stuff'?
Exactly. And what makes things worse IMO is that we also send people to sites that advertize this sort of stuff. I mean, when you visit our sourceforge download page, you will probably see that that page is also loaded with 'free' software ads.

It seems to be pretty hard to stay away from things like this today, because these guys actually pay for some of our resources now.

regards,

Re: rip off ?

2013/2/3 Gary Burton <[hidden email]>
I suppose distributing Gramps under a different name is OK as long as the terms of the GPL is complied with. However, I am guessing that Gramps hasn't been forked and the web site itself doesn't give any indication that money is required in exchange for the software so I wonder about the motive. Maybe Gramps is being used as a lure to get people to install the 'other stuff'?

Yes, the toolbar and such will be the way of having income

Benny