running several instance in parallels

Eric Doutreleau
Hi

Until moving to 5.1 i was able to run several instance instance in
parallel on different database.

It was useful to make some comparision.

I undertand why it changes to prevent launch of several instance of
gramps on the same database but

Is there a way to do that again in 5.1?

Thanks i in advance for any help

Re: running several instance in parallels

Ron Johnson
On 9/14/19 5:41 AM, Eric Doutreleau wrote:
Hi

Until moving to 5.1 i was able to run several instance instance in parallel on different database.

It was useful to make some comparision.

I undertand why it changes to prevent launch of several instance of gramps on the same database but

Is there a way to do that again in 5.1?

Are you saying that you cannot open two separate trees in parallel in 5.1?

Re: running several instance in parallels

prculley
One of the side effects of converting Gramps to be a more modern Gtk application was making it a 'Gtk Application".  The Gnome folks designed that so that only a single instance can be run at one time.

So there is no easy way to run multiple copies at one time.

Paul C.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 8:02 AM Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 9/14/19 5:41 AM, Eric Doutreleau wrote:
Hi

Until moving to 5.1 i was able to run several instance instance in parallel on different database.

It was useful to make some comparision.

I undertand why it changes to prevent launch of several instance of gramps on the same database but

Is there a way to do that again in 5.1?

Are you saying that you cannot open two separate trees in parallel in 5.1?

Re: running several instance in parallels

Eric Doutreleau

Hi

Thanks for your answer.

I have to find a diffferent way to do what i need then.

Le 14/09/2019 à 16:15, Paul Culley a écrit :
One of the side effects of converting Gramps to be a more modern Gtk application was making it a 'Gtk Application".  The Gnome folks designed that so that only a single instance can be run at one time.

So there is no easy way to run multiple copies at one time.

Paul C.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 8:02 AM Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 9/14/19 5:41 AM, Eric Doutreleau wrote:
Hi

Until moving to 5.1 i was able to run several instance instance in parallel on different database.

It was useful to make some comparision.

I undertand why it changes to prevent launch of several instance of gramps on the same database but

Is there a way to do that again in 5.1?

Are you saying that you cannot open two separate trees in parallel in 5.1?

Re: running several instance in parallels

Bill Gee
I also see this.  In version 5.0 I could run multiple instances of Gramps, each with a different database open.  As Eric notes, it makes comparing MUCH easier.  It also permits copy/paste of things like note text between instances.

I have reverted to my old way of doing this, which is to run each instance of Gramps in a virtual machine.  Copy/paste does not work (a problem with the RDP client I use), but otherwise it is effective.  For copy/paste, I save the text to a TXT file on a network share, then open it in the other machine.  It's a pain but gets the job done.

--
Bill Gee