scans of Multipage works - how to best store and cite

scans of Multipage works - how to best store and cite

paul womack
I have been lucky enough to obtain my grandmother's autograph book.

It has around 50 pages, and many "relevant" autographs and details.

It is simple enough to make a digital record of each page, either
with a flat bed scanner, or digital camera on a copy stand.

However.

I would like to have the *whole* autograph book in a relatively friendly
form, both for putting against my grandmother (it was her book, after all)
and so that consumers of my database can browse through the autographs
in a relatively natural way, a close digital analogue of the real book.

But I would also like to be able to put individual pages
against the person who made them (so that e.g. Aunt Agatha's
signature is held, as a single easily iewable image, against Aunt Agatha).

Can anyone recommend both a file format for the data,
and a methodology for creating the relevant media
object(s) and citation(s)?

One possibility that would work is to hold the book as a multipage
PDF, a single file and media object; this could then be cited
via page number for Aunt Agatha; however the user would then
be in the position of having to open the whole PDF and navigate
manually to the page number from the citation. Clunky, at best, especially
since Gramps is not elegant in its handling of PDFs (no previews, for starters).

Can anyone do better?

    BugBear

Re: scans of Multipage works - how to best store and cite

Tom Hughes
On 10/01/17 09:08, paul womack wrote:

> I would like to have the *whole* autograph book in a relatively friendly
> form, both for putting against my grandmother (it was her book, after all)
> and so that consumers of my database can browse through the autographs
> in a relatively natural way, a close digital analogue of the real book.
>
> But I would also like to be able to put individual pages
> against the person who made them (so that e.g. Aunt Agatha's
> signature is held, as a single easily iewable image, against Aunt Agatha).
>
> Can anyone recommend both a file format for the data,
> and a methodology for creating the relevant media
> object(s) and citation(s)?

You can always hold it as individual images for gramps and create a PDF
from them to send to other people.

I have a perl script I use to turn a collection of scanned images into a
PDF for such occasions - shout if you'd like a copy.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Tom Hughes wrote:

> On 10/01/17 09:08, paul womack wrote:
>
>> I would like to have the *whole* autograph book in a relatively friendly
>> form, both for putting against my grandmother (it was her book, after all)
>> and so that consumers of my database can browse through the autographs
>> in a relatively natural way, a close digital analogue of the real book.
>>
>> But I would also like to be able to put individual pages
>> against the person who made them (so that e.g. Aunt Agatha's
>> signature is held, as a single easily iewable image, against Aunt Agatha).
>>
>> Can anyone recommend both a file format for the data,
>> and a methodology for creating the relevant media
>> object(s) and citation(s)?
>
> You can always hold it as individual images for gramps and create a PDF from them to send to other people.

well, I'd want the PDF held against granny anyway. not just for "other people"; I would rather avoid having redundant
copies of the image if possible.

  BugBear

Re: scans of Multipage works - how to best store and cite

Simon C. Tremblay
Hi BugBear,

I have some tools but they are all Windows based and I think you're on Linux?

Here's what I use:

- I use http://scantailor.org/ to normalise all the images.
- I put all the images in a folder that I then zip and rename as a cbz, the comic book format.
- I use Sumatra PDF as cbz viewer, which can then save as pdf if I need to.

The advantage I see of the cbz format is that it collects together all the images in a viewable container, but it is easy enough to open it as a zip file (with 7zip, right click, Open file) if I want to pull out a single page.

That's for the technical side.  For citing this in Gramps, I don't have access to my DB right now, but I'll put some details later.

Regards

Simon

paul womack wrote:
  > I would like to have the *whole* autograph book in a relatively friendly
> form, both for putting against my grandmother (it was her book, after all)
> and so that consumers of my database can browse through the autographs
> in a relatively natural way, a close digital analogue of the real book.
>
> But I would also like to be able to put individual pages
> against the person who made them (so that e.g. Aunt Agatha's
> signature is held, as a single easily wiewable image, against Aunt Agatha).

My current solution is somewhat brutal.

I have carefully named each image for its page number, including leading zeroes,
and put them all in a named sub directory in my on-disc media file hierarchy.

Most image browsers will allow a user to look at this directory pretty much
as if the images are pages of a book. Step 1 solved.

I then created a SOURCE called granny's autograph book.

Granny herself was then given a citation of "all pages" for that source,
and I dragged all the images from the directory to the gallery for that citation.

I then put "granny's autograph book" source and the "all pages" citation
onto the clipboard.

As I then browsed the book and found autographs by people I recognised,
I would use the image number as the page number, and create a new citation
within the "granny's autograph book source",
and then drag the relevant media object from the "all pages" citation
to the new (single page) citation via the clipboard.

This is not as convenient to do as I'd like, but gives me 90% of the behaviour(s)
I want.

  BugBear

NdK

Il 10/01/2017 16:15, Simon C. Tremblay ha scritto:

> I have some tools but they are all Windows based and I think you're on
> Linux?
For Linux there's XSane. Better than most TWAIN drivers I've tried :)
And it supports scanning a set of files, reorder 'em and then generate a
single PDF file.

BYtE,
 Diego