seeking advice for genealogy DNA

brian fitzgerald
Does anybody have any unbiased references for how to begin the process of getting dna analysis underway.  What is the best value and most likely to be useful both for my present genealogy journey and for future relatives to locate me?

Re: seeking advice for genealogy DNA

sturdy

Try this link to ISOGG. There is a great getting started section in the middle of the home page.

HTH

Bob S.

On 11/05/2016 11:07 AM, brian fitzgerald wrote:
Does anybody have any unbiased references for how to begin the process of getting dna analysis underway.  What is the best value and most likely to be useful both for my present genealogy journey and for future relatives to locate me?

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: seeking advice for genealogy DNA

Peter (chamdo4ever)
On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 11:25 AM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Try this link to ISOGG. There is a great getting started section in the
> middle of the home page.

Bob S. is completely right, and the ISOGG site is excellent.

However, not mentioned on the ISOGG site, and beyond the standard DNA
sites for genealogy, if you would really like to "future preserve"
someone's DNA for posterity (which I would imagine most genealogist's
would), DNA banking is a great option.

Prevention Genetics maintains a DNA bank that holds DNA indefinitely:
http://www.pgdnabank.com

They have a one-time banking cost of $149 and then charge another
fairly nominal fee if/when the sample is withdrawn for testing. They
offer genetic testing at their lab but it's also possible to withdraw
and send the sample for analysis elsewhere. If you truly want to
preserve someone's DNA, this is a great way to do it.

The sample they use is from a vial of blood (no easy cheek swab or
spitting here) and the emphasis is more towards DNA for medical
purposes. Still, I like the idea of having DNA preserved in an
untouched state independent of any being used for genealogical use.
Who knows how such DNA could possibly be used for benefit by
descendants in the future?

They also have elaborate beneficiary forms to insure that everything
is handled well for posterity.

$149 is not cheap, and there is the added hassle of needing to have
blood drawn, but I still think that DNA Banking is worthwhile.

Just my two cents,

Peter

Re: seeking advice for genealogy DNA

I got tested at Family Tree DNA.  They seem to be the only ones not to sell
your DNA results to others, and also have the best tools for comparing sets
of DNA.

Besides the ISOGG web site, there's Roberta Estes' blog
https://dna-explained.com/

On 11/05/2016 10:07 AM, brian fitzgerald wrote:
> Does anybody have any unbiased references for how to begin the process of
> getting dna analysis underway.  What is the best value and most likely to
> be useful both for my present genealogy journey and for future relatives
> to locate me?

Re: seeking advice for genealogy DNA

Bret Busby-2
On 07/11/2016, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got tested at Family Tree DNA.  They seem to be the only ones not to sell
>
> your DNA results to others, and also have the best tools for comparing sets
>
> of DNA.
>
> Besides the ISOGG web site, there's Roberta Estes' blog
> https://dna-explained.com/
>
> On 11/05/2016 10:07 AM, brian fitzgerald wrote:
>> Does anybody have any unbiased references for how to begin the process of
>>
>> getting dna analysis underway.  What is the best value and most likely to
>>
>> be useful both for my present genealogy journey and for future relatives
>> to locate me?

Hello.

I am the Project Co-ordinator (if that is the correct title) for the
Busby name Y-DNA genetic genealogy project at familytreedna.com.

I use and recommend their 37 marker Y-DNA test and FamilyFinder test
combination, which can find matches indicating probable relatives (who
have also undergone the same tests)  with a Most Recent Common
Ancestor, as recent as within the last five generations.

The currently have a special offer (this is one of their discounting
seasons) of that combination for 188USD.

If you are interested, see https://www.familytreedna.com/products.aspx .

Also, on their web site, it could be worth searching on your family
name, to find whether they have a name project for your family name.

Also worthwhile, in case you have not done it already, is to search
for, and subscribe to, and, post to, a rootsweb genealogy mailing list
for your family name. See http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

I included that reference to the rootsweb lists, as I still get
contacts from people who, in their genealogy searching through google,
find information in messages that I posted over a decade ago.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."