seg fault at r2.0.5 startup

Bill Pier
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded from Gramps 1.0.8 to 2.0.5
using an rpm, though I tried building it too with the same results:

seg fault at startup - no other error messages

env:
 GRAMPS     : 2.0.5-1mdk
 Python     : 2.4-5mdk
 GTK+-2.0   : 2.6.4
 PyGTK      : 2.6.2
 O/S        : Mandrake 10.1

Any suggestions on how to debug this problem?

I've tried  backing down releases but to no avail - no change.
Clearly to me, some lib called in bowels of python is
a problem, but I don't know how to trace this.

thanks,
Bill

Re: seg fault at r2.0.5 startup

Alex Roitman
Bill,

On 07/15/2005 08:04:43 PM, Bill Pier wrote:

> I've recently upgraded from Gramps 1.0.8 to 2.0.5
> using an rpm, though I tried building it too with the same results:
>
> seg fault at startup - no other error messages
>
> env:
>  GRAMPS     : 2.0.5-1mdk
>  Python     : 2.4-5mdk
>  GTK+-2.0   : 2.6.4
>  PyGTK      : 2.6.2
>  O/S        : Mandrake 10.1
Everything looks sane. People run gramps under these conditions
without problems.

> Any suggestions on how to debug this problem?

The ideal scenario would be to rebuild all the underlying code (python,
gtk and gnome libs, and pygtk) with the debugging symbols enabled and
then run gramps under gdb:
   $ cd /usr/share/gramps
   $ gdb python
   (gdb) run gramps

This is most likely too much to ask, we all understand that :-)

> I've tried  backing down releases but to no avail - no change.
> Clearly to me, some lib called in bowels of python is
> a problem, but I don't know how to trace this.

Either python or gtk/gnome or pygtk/gnome-python.
Try running it under gdb, maybe something will give a hint
even without debugging symbols?

You could also ask Mandrake people -- whatever the code in gramps
does, it should not be able to segfault python. Since it does,
something is not right with the underlying libs. This could potentially
be a source of a security problem, so they have a free testcase in form
of gramps :-) They should be capable of at least locating the culprit
statement in gramps, since they compile and package all the libs.
While they're at it, they will give us insights of what may be wrong.

If you get any relevant feedback from Mandrake developers, please
share it with us! If there's some bug tracking system and you file
a report in it, please let us know the URL so that we can stay posted.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: seg fault at r2.0.5 startup

Bill Pier
Alex Roitman wrote:
[...]

OK, I've checked and rechecked my python upgrade/install to
make sure that at least the rpm's are copacetic (I know, I know,
RPM package management sucks and isn't the best ...).
Running python with -v produces some messages ending with:

# /usr/lib/python2.4/xml/parsers/expat.pyc matches /usr/lib/python2.4/xml/parsers/expat.py
import xml.parsers.expat # precompiled from /usr/lib/python2.4/xml/parsers/expat.pyc
dlopen("/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/pyexpat.so", 2);
zsh: segmentation fault  python -v $GRAMPSDIR/gramps.py

Any ideas?
The lib file looks fine and is/was provided by the python-2.4 rpm.

thanks,
Bill

P.S., SHOOT! DANG!, (etc.); upon further checking it seems that pyexpat.so
used to be provided by PyXML (rpm) which is python 2.3 specific; so is
gramps not compat. with python 2.4 as built/structured by MDK?

Re: seg fault at r2.0.5 startup

sakuno
Bill,

> P.S., SHOOT! DANG!, (etc.); upon further checking it seems that pyexpat.so
> used to be provided by PyXML (rpm) which is python 2.3 specific; so is
> gramps not compat. with python 2.4 as built/structured by MDK?

By the rest of the message you know a lot more about this stuff than I, but as
I'm also a Mandriva user and am not having these problems, I'm at an even
bigger loss as to how to help you.  I'm running the latest club release with
gramps 2.0.5 and it's working perfectly.  It could be the mismatch of files
though, but that's only a guess.  Was your last install an install or
upgrade?

Regards
        Trevor

Re: seg fault at r2.0.5 startup

Alex Roitman
Bill,

On 07/19/2005 12:46:05 PM, Bill Pier wrote:

> OK, I've checked and rechecked my python upgrade/install to
> make sure that at least the rpm's are copacetic (I know, I know,
> RPM package management sucks and isn't the best ...).
> Running python with -v produces some messages ending with:

> # /usr/lib/python2.4/xml/parsers/expat.pyc matches
> /usr/lib/python2.4/xml/parsers/expat.py
> import xml.parsers.expat # precompiled from
> /usr/lib/python2.4/xml/parsers/expat.pyc
> dlopen("/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/pyexpat.so", 2);
> zsh: segmentation fault  python -v $GRAMPSDIR/gramps.py
>
> Any ideas?
> The lib file looks fine and is/was provided by the python-2.4 rpm.
>
> P.S., SHOOT! DANG!, (etc.); upon further checking it seems that pyexpat.so
> used to be provided by PyXML (rpm) which is python 2.3 specific; so is
> gramps not compat. with python 2.4 as built/structured by MDK?
The gramps should work with python2.4. What do you get when
you try this:

   $ python
   >>> from xml.parsers.expat import ParserCreate
   >>> p = ParserCreate()

If that fails then the problem is outside gramps. The above
should work with python2.4. BTW, on my machine, the file
/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/pyexpat.so is provide by
python2.4 package (Debian unstable). In python2.3 expat was
provided by python-xml (PyXML) package. In python2.4 it is
shipped with python.

Alex