ships, ports, embarkation?

Re: ships, ports, embarkation?

ACProctor
Sorry Enno, I forgot that I have the luxury of not worrying about compatibility with other data models. If I ever embark on a large-scale development then that may change, of course.

    Tony Proctor

Re: ships, ports, embarkation?

Douglas Bainbridge
Hi Enno,
Thanks for the links.

On 01/07/14 12:43, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>> Can I ask for some advice on how to use the 4.1 hierarchical
>> place system? How does one handle the notorious muddle of
>> English counties getting redrawn every few decades? - it
>> suggests that a particular place (lat/long) should be in
>> different hierarchies according to the date.
> I personally see the system that we have in 4.1 as a first step, and
> hope that we can expand it to support date dependent paths some time. I
> only have a few ancestors from the UK, and should probably use England
> when I refer to locations in the era when they lived there, but I
> recognize the problem for my own country too. I partly avoid it now by
> not upgrading to 4.1, and omitting province names and municipalities,
> especially because the changes in the latter are probably quite as bad
> as those of counties in England.
>> I have a lot of stuff in 3.4, for example, with the place
>> inconsistently recorded as in Durham, County Durham,
>> Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, where the county name
>> depended on whether I was able to take place information
>> from a contemporary or historical record or had to find the
>> place using circumstantial information to locate it with
>> Google Map, giving it an anachronistic county name.
> Same here, and maybe even worse, because I also import parts of trees
> from Ancestry and FamilySearch, where local names have been
> Americanized, either by the site, or by relatives overseas. The only
> advice that I can give right now is to avoid Google maps, and use sites like
>
> http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Special:Search/Place

I don't think this would serve for the situations where I
needed Google Maps (at least with a few examples I tried):
the circumstances selected or narrowed down the site on a
map and Google Maps gave the lat/long.
Special: Search gave only suggested some places that were
not very good matches

> or
>
> http://gov.genealogy.net/search/index

I'm afraid I don't really understand the system because of
my poor German.
However it looks to me to be taking hierarchies as
independent of one another, different entities at a given
level being just the same entity seen at different times.
Whereas hierarchies in English counties reticulate, a place
belongs to one hierarchy at one period and to another at
another time; and of course hierarchies bifurcate and merge.
I guess there's nothing peculiarly English about that.

> which are both maintained by smart developers/genealogists. And as long
> as there is no time dependent hierarchy in Gramps, try to stick to the
> hierarchy that suits your research best.
Thanks for your encouragement!

> And what that is depends,
> because currently the place title is exported to GEDCOM too, I think,
> making things even more difficult when you upload to sites overseas,
> like in the US, or on the continent, which some in the UK seem to call
> Europe, as if the UK is not part of it.
We won't go into those deep waters!

> cheers,
>
> Enno