(slightly OT): frequency of gramps-users digest e-mails?

(slightly OT): frequency of gramps-users digest e-mails?

yorkshire_lad
I'm already on digest mode for this list, but the digests are sometimes coming thick and fast (e.g. today).

Is it possible to specify (either per user or or globally) the frequency of the digest (either by number of messages in a digest, or by daily/weekly/monthly etc).

I checked the "Gramps-users mailing list membership configuration" page and there's only a Yes/No for digest mode, not a frequency of digest setting (but it does say "(usually one per day but possibly more on busy lists)".)

A bit of Googling suggest there might be some possibilities:
http://listproc.sourceforge.net/docs/ownercard.html (which is not the most recent) suggests there's

DIGEST frequency [when]

    DIGEST daily hh:mm
    DIGEST weekly [day-of-the-week]
    DIGEST monthly

Just asking if anyone has any bright ideas: I'd like to try and stem the consolidate the digests a bit more at busy times.

Re: (slightly OT): frequency of gramps-users digest e-mails?

Nick Hall
On 16/08/18 15:41, Allan Gould wrote:
> Is it possible to specify (either per user or or globally) the
> frequency of the digest (either by number of messages in a digest, or
> by daily/weekly/monthly etc).

The available digest options can be found here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-admin/node19.html

The digest_size_threshold is currently set to 30Kb.  I could change it
to zero, in which case everyone would receive no more than one digest
per day.

I'd like to hear what other people who receive the digest would like.

Re: (slightly OT): frequency of gramps-users digest e-mails?

yorkshire_lad

Thanks for the reply and info, Nick.

I'd happily vote for once a day (but then I'm the one that put the question up in the first place!).

I've not seen any other comments on-list (some may have replied direct to you) on this matter in the last 24 hours (although that's probably quite a short time span to gather opinion), but the list has been quite lively.  There have been 9 digest e-mails in the last 24 hours: it would seem that rather defeats the object of a digest....?

On 16/08/2018 19:35, [hidden email] wrote:

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: (slightly OT): frequency of gramps-users digest e-mails?
      (Nick Hall)
   2. Re: Diacritics (Victor Engel)
   3. Re: Optimal use of Gallery (a novice question) (L.W.)

Message: 1

Re: (slightly OT): frequency of gramps-users digest e-mails?

rider
This is my 2nd attempt to respond, don't know what happened to my earlier one??

I also prefer fewer daily digest emails, just easier to keep up with the topics and concentrate on them.

Lynda

Re: (slightly OT): frequency of gramps-users digest e-mails?

yorkshire_lad
Is there any chance that the frequency of the digest could be reconfigured?  There are been a couple of other comments which seem to be in favour of making them less frequent.
(I've just had a digest with _one_ message in and the approximate size of the digest e-mail was 6kb: not really a digest....? The digest in question was "Gramps-users Digest, Vol 147, Issue 77")
Thanks
Allan