some random thoughts on 5.0

enno
Hello Devs,

I played with 5.0 a bit, and it looks good, but there are a few things
that I like to discuss, some of which may be worth adding to the road
map, like:

1. There is no way to create a DB-API database right away. I have to
create a classic one, and then convert that.

2. When I have a single 5.0 database, and it's open, there is no way to
convert. It needs to be closed first, but we have no button for that.
Opening another one to force closing is not an option here, because I
don't want to upgrade my work trees to 5.0, and it's not an option
anyway if a user has only one tree. Closing could be forced as part of
the conversion, but I prefer to have a close function instead.

3. When I run check & repair on a DB-API database, my media are not
found. My media path is empty, which implies that it's my home folder,
and that works well with the BSDDB API, also in 5.0. With the DB-API
however, error messages suggest that the current database's DB folder is
seen as the media path, when it's empty. When I set it to /home/enno,
everything is OK, but I think that an empty path should work as advertised.

To me, #3 looks like a bug, but I'm not sure how to categorize the other
ones. Should I add them to Mantis too, so that someone else can put
those on the road map in time?

When I can find time, I also like to do some testing on Windows 10. Can
anyone tell me the quickest way to get a 5.0 on that? I noticed that Sam
posted some 5.0 screen shots from Windows 7, so it must be possible.

Re: some random thoughts on 5.0

DS Blank
On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Devs,

I played with 5.0 a bit, and it looks good, but there are a few things
that I like to discuss, some of which may be worth adding to the road
map, like:

You made it through pretty well, without any hints or documentation. That is a good sign. And with a couple of hints:

1. There is no way to create a DB-API database right away. I have to
create a classic one, and then convert that.

There is a "default database backend" that can be set on the command-line and in Preferences. When you make a new family tree, it will use the default. (I originally had selection of backend as part of the GUI for making a new tree, but once you pick what backend you want to use, you usually won't change).

The command-line option is: --config=behavior-database-backend:dbapi

2. When I have a single 5.0 database, and it's open, there is no way to
convert. It needs to be closed first, but we have no button for that.
Opening another one to force closing is not an option here, because I
don't want to upgrade my work trees to 5.0, and it's not an option
anyway if a user has only one tree. Closing could be forced as part of
the conversion, but I prefer to have a close function instead.

Adding a "Close" button is a good idea.

3. When I run check & repair on a DB-API database, my media are not
found. My media path is empty, which implies that it's my home folder,
and that works well with the BSDDB API, also in 5.0. With the DB-API
however, error messages suggest that the current database's DB folder is
seen as the media path, when it's empty. When I set it to /home/enno,
everything is OK, but I think that an empty path should work as advertised.

Sounds like a bug. I'll see if I can replicate.

To me, #3 looks like a bug, but I'm not sure how to categorize the other
ones. Should I add them to Mantis too, so that someone else can put
those on the road map in time?

I'll add a close button, if that sounds good to people. Please add #3 to the issue tracker.

When I can find time, I also like to do some testing on Windows 10. Can
anyone tell me the quickest way to get a 5.0 on that? I noticed that Sam
posted some 5.0 screen shots from Windows 7, so it must be possible.

I think we are getting close to a 5.0 alpha, depending on what we want to do with filters + sql.

-Doug

Re: some random thoughts on 5.0

Tim Lyons
Administrator
DS Blank wrote
On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2. When I have a single 5.0 database, and it's open, there is no way to
> convert. It needs to be closed first, but we have no button for that.
> Opening another one to force closing is not an option here, because I
> don't want to upgrade my work trees to 5.0, and it's not an option
> anyway if a user has only one tree. Closing could be forced as part of
> the conversion, but I prefer to have a close function instead.

Adding a "Close" button is a good idea.
<snip>

> To me, #3 looks like a bug, but I'm not sure how to categorize the other
> ones. Should I add them to Mantis too, so that someone else can put
> those on the road map in time?

I'll add a close button, if that sounds good to people. Please add #3 to
the issue tracker.

<snip>

I think we are getting close to a 5.0 alpha, depending on what we want to do with filters + sql.

I've already raised a bug about wanting to see a close button. This was quite a long time ago. There was a problem raised that something didn't work properly with a closed database, but I seem to remember that someone said more recently that this was solved, so a close button should be possible. I for one would very much like one!!

I was delighted to see an upgrade path from BSDDB to DBAPI (though I haven't looked at all the code etc yet.)

I have a separate comment about the text files in a database, and how they are handled, but am having to think carefully to explain, so will be posting on that soon. I would want to see that fixed, as well as the filters/sql before we get to an alpha.

regards,
Tim.

Re: some random thoughts on 5.0

DS Blank
On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Tim Lyons [via GRAMPS] <[hidden email]> wrote:
DS Blank wrote
On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2. When I have a single 5.0 database, and it's open, there is no way to
> convert. It needs to be closed first, but we have no button for that.
> Opening another one to force closing is not an option here, because I
> don't want to upgrade my work trees to 5.0, and it's not an option
> anyway if a user has only one tree. Closing could be forced as part of
> the conversion, but I prefer to have a close function instead.

Adding a "Close" button is a good idea.
<snip>

> To me, #3 looks like a bug, but I'm not sure how to categorize the other
> ones. Should I add them to Mantis too, so that someone else can put
> those on the road map in time?

I'll add a close button, if that sounds good to people. Please add #3 to
the issue tracker.

<snip>

I think we are getting close to a 5.0 alpha, depending on what we want to do with filters + sql.

I've already raised a bug about wanting to see a close button. This was quite a long time ago. There was a problem raised that something didn't work properly with a closed database, but I seem to remember that someone said more recently that this was solved, so a close button should be possible. I for one would very much like one!!

There is now a Close button in the Family Tree Manager in master. And you are correct that there were other related issues surrounding the "no database open" but I think that just swapping in a inmemory database for the read-only database will largely catch all of those issues.

I was delighted to see an upgrade path from BSDDB to DBAPI (though I haven't looked at all the code etc yet.)

There are probably ways to make it more robust, and handle various faults. Getting this into testers hands will be good.

I have a separate comment about the text files in a database, and how they are handled, but am having to think carefully to explain, so will be posting on that soon. I would want to see that fixed, as well as the filters/sql before we get to an alpha.

I guess that depends on if Nick can complete that, how complex it is, how much more development it might take, how robust it is, how much testing we need, etc.This is a big project and not one that should be rushed. It can easily wait until 5.1, or even later, IMHO.

-Doug

regards,
Tim.

http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/some-random-thoughts-on-5-0-tp4675439p4675443.html
This email was sent by Tim Lyons (via Nabble)
To receive all replies by email, subscribe to this discussion