Quantcast

sources vs. repositories

Jeff Jauregui
After looking in the gramps documentation, I am still unsure about the
precise difference between "sources" and "repositories".  Suppose I
have digital copies of lots of different census records for different
families in different years.  Should I group them into repositories?
If so, should it be by year, or should they all be together in a
single repository?

Also, if I want to cite many different pages of book, should I list
the book as a repository and each page I cite as a separate source?

Thanks!

Re: sources vs. repositories

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:18:26 -0500
"Jeff Jauregui" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Jeff,

> After looking in the gramps documentation, I am still unsure about the
> precise difference between "sources" and "repositories".  Suppose I

Source would be 1881 UK Census, Birth Certificate, Will, etc:
repository would Ancestry, The National Archive, FreeBMD, and so forth.

--
 Regards  _

You're only 29 got a lot to learn
Seventeen - Sex Pistols

Re: sources vs. repositories

repository is place where you can find a source.
So repository = local library, registry office, top drawer of my cabinet, ...

Source is the book, album, diary, census, .... . Anything that has been/can be published as an entity.

A source can be in different repositories, eg 'Births Washington 1900-1920, third edition' can be in your library, and you might have a copy at home.

Pictures of a source (eg census pages), should be attached to the source.
If you however make an album of census pictures you keep at home, you might add the pictures to the correct source, and also add them to a source 'My Album of census scans'. In the media reference you can eg add the page in the album for the second.

Some genealogy apps allow to subdivide a source in pieces, eg divide a book in chapters. GRAMPS does _not_ have this at the moment. So you should add all pages to the same source.

In the sourcereference you add in the page/volume or date field how you can find the citation in the specific source. Eg page 4.

Gramps 3.0 will allow you to have multiple notes in a source, which should make storing large amounts of data in one source more easy.

Note however that many people make one source per registry entry (eg birth registry) for ease of use. That is not a big deal because entries in a registry are not connected.
For census however, people on the same page or also in the same street, ..., so keeping them together in one source is a good idea.

Benny