start with FAQ too?

Paul Franklin-5
Right now, a new gramps starts with the Welcome gramplet
and Top Surnames gramplet displayed in the Dashboard view.

I was wondering if we should add the FAQ gramplet also?

It might be a useful way for people new to gramps to get an
idea of what to do.

We could put it underneath the Top Surnames gramplet, or
(my preference) we could put it above Top Surnames.

Any thoughts?

Re: start with FAQ too?

John Ralls-2

On Jul 6, 2014, at 9:29 PM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Right now, a new gramps starts with the Welcome gramplet
> and Top Surnames gramplet displayed in the Dashboard view.
>
> I was wondering if we should add the FAQ gramplet also?
>
> It might be a useful way for people new to gramps to get an
> idea of what to do.
>
> We could put it underneath the Top Surnames gramplet, or
> (my preference) we could put it above Top Surnames.
>
> Any thoughts?

I think that opening to the Gramplets view is a bit off-putting for new users. We've had a fair number of complaints, especially on Louis Kestler's review site, from new users who couldn't figure out where to begin.

I'd think the most familiar place to begin a new file would be relationship view. If someone could figure out how it would be cool to have a tooltip pointing at the primary-person edit icon saying "Click here to create your first person, or select Family Trees>Import to import an existing database from another program".

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: start with FAQ too?

Paul Franklin-5
On 7/6/14, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2014, at 9:29 PM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Right now, a new gramps starts with the Welcome gramplet
>> and Top Surnames gramplet displayed in the Dashboard view.
>>
>> I was wondering if we should add the FAQ gramplet also?
>>
>> It might be a useful way for people new to gramps to get an
>> idea of what to do.
>>
>> We could put it underneath the Top Surnames gramplet, or
>> (my preference) we could put it above Top Surnames.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> I think that opening to the Gramplets view is a bit off-putting for new
> users. We've had a fair number of complaints, especially on Louis Kestler's
> review site, from new users who couldn't figure out where to begin.
>
> I'd think the most familiar place to begin a new file would be relationship
> view. If someone could figure out how it would be cool to have a tooltip
> pointing at the primary-person edit icon saying "Click here to create your
> first person, or select Family Trees>Import to import an existing database
> from another program".
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Fine with me.

What about starting in the Relationships view with the FAQ or Welcome
gramplet underneath?

Re: start with FAQ too?

Paul Franklin-5
On 7/6/14, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/6/14, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 6, 2014, at 9:29 PM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Right now, a new gramps starts with the Welcome gramplet
>>> and Top Surnames gramplet displayed in the Dashboard view.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if we should add the FAQ gramplet also?
>>>
>>> It might be a useful way for people new to gramps to get an
>>> idea of what to do.
>>>
>>> We could put it underneath the Top Surnames gramplet, or
>>> (my preference) we could put it above Top Surnames.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> I think that opening to the Gramplets view is a bit off-putting for new
>> users. We've had a fair number of complaints, especially on Louis
>> Kestler's
>> review site, from new users who couldn't figure out where to begin.
>>
>> I'd think the most familiar place to begin a new file would be
>> relationship
>> view. If someone could figure out how it would be cool to have a tooltip
>> pointing at the primary-person edit icon saying "Click here to create
>> your
>> first person, or select Family Trees>Import to import an existing
>> database
>> from another program".
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

> Fine with me.
>
> What about starting in the Relationships view with the FAQ or Welcome
> gramplet underneath?

Also, doesn't it really first start in the "manage family trees"
dialog?  That always confused me, back when, since I didn't
have a clue what to do when faced with that screen.

Re: start with FAQ too?

John Ralls-2

On Jul 6, 2014, at 10:39 PM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/6/14, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I think that opening to the Gramplets view is a bit off-putting for new
>>> users. We've had a fair number of complaints, especially on Louis
>>> Kestler's
>>> review site, from new users who couldn't figure out where to begin.
>>>
>>> I'd think the most familiar place to begin a new file would be
>>> relationship
>>> view. If someone could figure out how it would be cool to have a tooltip
>>> pointing at the primary-person edit icon saying "Click here to create
>>> your
>>> first person, or select Family Trees>Import to import an existing
>>> database
>>> from another program".
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>>

>> Fine with me.
>>
>> What about starting in the Relationships view with the FAQ or Welcome
>> gramplet underneath?
>>

> Also, doesn't it really first start in the "manage family trees"
> dialog?  That always confused me, back when, since I didn't
> have a clue what to do when faced with that screen.

That is indeed the first thing a user sees. Some help text there would probably be welcome; that would be easy, too: Just an extra label that's added when there aren't any databases and says something like "Welcome to Gramps! To get started, click "New" to create your first Family Tree, then type in a name for it, press <Return>, and click "Open"."

Putting a gramplet underneath or to the side of the Relationship view might be an easy way to present some "getting started" instructions. The current Welcome Gramplet doesn't do that; it's Getting Started paragraph is about Manage Family Trees, which the user has already dismissed.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: start with FAQ too?

Ronan Waide
On 07/07/2014 08:48 AM, John Ralls wrote:
[...]

Just on that particular dialog (manage family trees) - when I've had Gramps crash out, leaving a database locked, recovery is mildly irritating - it tells me the database is locked, and asks if I want to unlock it, but if I say, "yes, unlock it", it doesn't actually open the database - unlock and open are distinct actions. Is this a deliberate choice? It's a bit counter-intuitive.

(still here, just really busy with the day job!)

Cheers,
Waider
--
[hidden email] / It's about as impersonal as you can get.

Re: start with FAQ too?

Tim Lyons
Administrator
John Ralls-2 wrote
On Jul 6, 2014, at 10:39 PM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/6/14, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I think that opening to the Gramplets view is a bit off-putting for new
>>> users. We've had a fair number of complaints, especially on Louis
>>> Kestler's
>>> review site, from new users who couldn't figure out where to begin.
>>>
>>> I'd think the most familiar place to begin a new file would be
>>> relationship
>>> view. If someone could figure out how it would be cool to have a tooltip
>>> pointing at the primary-person edit icon saying "Click here to create
>>> your
>>> first person, or select Family Trees>Import to import an existing
>>> database
>>> from another program".
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>>

>> Fine with me.
>>
>> What about starting in the Relationships view with the FAQ or Welcome
>> gramplet underneath?
>>

> Also, doesn't it really first start in the "manage family trees"
> dialog?  That always confused me, back when, since I didn't
> have a clue what to do when faced with that screen.

That is indeed the first thing a user sees. Some help text there would probably be welcome; that would be easy, too: Just an extra label that's added when there aren't any databases and says something like "Welcome to Gramps! To get started, click "New" to create your first Family Tree, then type in a name for it, press <Return>, and click "Open"."

Putting a gramplet underneath or to the side of the Relationship view might be an easy way to present some "getting started" instructions. The current Welcome Gramplet doesn't do that; it's Getting Started paragraph is about Manage Family Trees, which the user has already dismissed.

Regards,
John Ralls
Well, starting with the relationship view with an empty family tree doesn't work, because there are no buttons active, because there is "No active person"! (I.e. there is nowhere to click to add your first person).

Otherwise, it's quite a good idea, because if you start with the People view, it is not at all obvious how to add related people, once you have added your first person. (This is quite a common criticism that it is hard to get into the program). The difficulties the first time user is faced with are not helped by the fact that if you do add a person in the People view, and then switch to the Relationship view, nothing is present, because the person you just added is not highlighted in the People view, so does not appear as the active person in the relationship view.

Re: start with FAQ too?

Helge.Herz-2
I often thought about to have a button/functionality for the
relationship view working like this:
Add a new Person (by opening the Person editor for a new entry) and make
this person to the active person after closing the Person editor.

Is it really necessary to do all these steps:
1. go to the Person view
2. add a Person
3. mark it as active person
4. go (back) to the relationship view (my favourite view entering data)?

But may be I doesn't see all dependencies / constrains.
- Helge

> Well, starting with the relationship view with an empty family tree doesn't
> work, because there are no buttons active, because there is "No active
> person"! (I.e. there is nowhere to click to add your first person).
>
> Otherwise, it's quite a good idea, because if you start with the People
> view, it is not at all obvious how to add related people, once you have
> added your first person. (This is quite a common criticism that it is hard
> to get into the program). The difficulties the first time user is faced with
> are not helped by the fact that if you do add a person in the People view,
> and then switch to the Relationship view, nothing is present, because the
> person you just added is not highlighted in the People view, so does not
> appear as the active person in the relationship view.

Re: start with FAQ too?

Paul Franklin-5
On 7/6/14, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Right now, a new gramps starts with the Welcome gramplet
> and Top Surnames gramplet displayed in the Dashboard view.
>
> I was wondering if we should add the FAQ gramplet also?
>
> It might be a useful way for people new to gramps to get an
> idea of what to do.
>
> We could put it underneath the Top Surnames gramplet, or
> (my preference) we could put it above Top Surnames.
>
> Any thoughts?

So let me rephrase my initial question.

Ignoring the issue of what dialog or view a user sees when
they first start gramps, should the initial default Dashboard
view contain the FAQ gramplet also, along with the Welcome
and the Top Surnames ones?