test

Re: test

GRAMPS - User mailing list
The maillist HAS been unusually quiet, hasn't it? More than a week without an inquiry.

-Brian

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 7:20, phil wharram via Gramps-users

Backup isn't working

Connie Mack
I noticed that too but you're just in time to give me a hand. I have been trying to make a back-up but it just keeps spinning its wheels and never concludes. After 15 minutes or so I close with the X. The backup file is 0 kb, of course. I uninstalled, reinstalled and the same thing is still happening. Any idea why? I've never had this problem and the only think I can think of that is different is that I installed python and what ever else was needed for the Geofinder tool.

About GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-5.1.1-1
Python: 3.6.4 (default, Jan 23 2018, 13:17:37)  ...
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
sqlite: 3.21.0 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_US.UTF-8
OS: Windows 10 64bit

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 8:40 AM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
The maillist HAS been unusually quiet, hasn't it? More than a week without an inquiry.

-Brian

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 7:20, phil wharram via Gramps-users

Re: Backup isn't working

GRAMPS - User mailing list
A question & three troubleshooting suggestions...

Does the automated backup upon exit fail in the same way?

1) verify the backup destination is still valid

2) create a new tree with the example.gramps data & see if that fails. (If so, it eliminatrs the possibility of a corrupted tree & points to your Gramps installation/configuration.)

3) does export do the same? (If export succeeds, Crete a New Tree, import that file & see if the problem continues.)

-Brian

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 9:04, Connie Mack
[...]

I am using 5.1.1 on Windows.

Both backup and the auto backup on exit work fine.

I too installed python but Gramps uses its own python components to
run.  That is what AIO stands for. All-in-One.

Dave

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 10:05 AM Connie Mack
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noticed that too but you're just in time to give me a hand. I have been trying to make a back-up but it just keeps spinning its wheels and never concludes. After 15 minutes or so I close with the X. The backup file is 0 kb, of course. I uninstalled, reinstalled and the same thing is still happening. Any idea why? I've never had this problem and the only think I can think of that is different is that I installed python and what ever else was needed for the Geofinder tool.
>
> About GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-5.1.1-1
> Python: 3.6.4 (default, Jan 23 2018, 13:17:37)  ...
> BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
> sqlite: 3.21.0 (2.6.0)
> LANG: en_US.UTF-8
> OS: Windows 10 64bit
>
> On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 8:40 AM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The maillist HAS been unusually quiet, hasn't it? More than a week without an inquiry.
>>
>> -Brian
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 7:20, phil wharram via Gramps-users
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

Re: Backup isn't working

prculley
If you are including the media items it could take a while, particularly if you have a lot of them.  Other things to check; does it work if you just export to XML?  This is really the same as a backup, except you get to choose the backup location each time.

When it is doing the backup, if you open the task manager, does Gramps appear to be using a lot of CPU?  Disk?  If it isn't then it isn't really working.

Paul C.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noticed that too but you're just in time to give me a hand. I have been trying to make a back-up but it just keeps spinning its wheels and never concludes. After 15 minutes or so I close with the X. The backup file is 0 kb, of course. I uninstalled, reinstalled and the same thing is still happening. Any idea why? I've never had this problem and the only think I can think of that is different is that I installed python and what ever else was needed for the Geofinder tool.
>
> About GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-5.1.1-1
> Python: 3.6.4 (default, Jan 23 2018, 13:17:37)  ...
> BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
> sqlite: 3.21.0 (2.6.0)
> LANG: en_US.UTF-8
> OS: Windows 10 64bit
>
> On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 8:40 AM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The maillist HAS been unusually quiet, hasn't it? More than a week without an inquiry.
>>
>> -Brian
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 7:20, phil wharram via Gramps-users
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

Re: Backup isn't working

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Connie Mack isolated to problem running out of drive capacity.

Unfortunately, destination availability, space availability & permissions are pains to verify given all the cross-platform file-system idiosyncracies. (It was ugly when I had to write a Mac/Windows file error handler for use in Excel's Macros just a few years ago.)

Should an enhancement request be filed? We definitely need to add the symptoms he saw to the Wiki's troubleshooting.

-Brian

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 11:19, Paul Culley

Re: Backup isn't working

Nick Hall
On 30/11/2019 17:41, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
> Should an enhancement request be filed?

Yes.  It appears to be a bug.

Re: Backup isn't working

Connie Mack
It would be good if it put up a message that the destination is out of room, because I'm sure a lot of others, like me, use an external source to back up, so it is safe from hard drive failure. My backups upon close were saving on the hard drive.