the Interactive-Tree/Topola Viewer tool questions

the Interactive-Tree/Topola Viewer tool questions

Richard Troxel
This is another fantastic tool in Gramps but I have some questions about it.
  1. In the viewer there are placeholders for media objects yet no media appears?
    Ged2 will contain media but the Topola Viewer will not load a ged2 file. If displaying the media is not an option why not take out the "OBJE" placeholder.
  2. Certain miscellaneous "events" have a header that says "Even" can we get the spelling corrected? Or better yet, get them labeled with the type as with "Birth" and "Death"?
    OK, I'm a little OCD here.
Thanks again for this great tool!

Re: the Interactive-Tree/Topola Viewer tool questions

Richard Troxel
Thanks Sam, I felt pretty sure that I would end up having to contact the developers. I ran it by the Gramps people first, just in case, so I would not go through re-inventing the wheel. Perhaps someone else had run into these issues and had some insight. I did change the extension from .ged2 to .ged and the file loaded just fine, however, there were still no images nor note files.  I looked at some of the examples and media (photos) are supposed to show up in some versions. I will try following up with the developers.

Thanks again for your help.
Rich

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 2:25 PM Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Richard,

For this third party addon it only generates a GEDCOM file from Gramps and then opens an external website ( https://pewu.github.io/topola-viewer/#/ ) which has the code that according to the developer then creates the charts you see (have a read of https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/pull/197 ), so on the Gramps side nothing can be done with the text of the labels titles etc as they are hosted on the developers website.

The same goes with the addon not recognizing the ged2 file which is created by the third party "GEDCOM Extensions (GED2)" the "Interactive-Tree/Topola Viewer addon " will if possible need a feature added, in the mean time  you can check that the GED2 file works by opening the GEDCOM manually using the developers website ( https://pewu.github.io/topola-viewer/ ) and select the "Load from file" at the top of the page, note you may need to rename the GED2 file to GED for it to work.

In both cases please contact the developer at:
and raise both issues directly and mention how much you love the addon directly.

Kind Regards
Sam

PS: You can also read the following issue, where it was worked out that nothing had to be done on the Gramps side for this particular addon.

--
'Topola',
'Interactive Family Tree'

Re: the Interactive-Tree/Topola Viewer tool questions

PeWu
Hi,

I'm the developer of Topola. I'm happy that you find it useful.

Referring to the issues that were mentioned:
- support the .ged2 extension - this should be an easy fix. Topola Viewer
currently just fails if the file does not have a .ged extension
- don't show empty OBJE tags - doable
- show actual media objects referenced by OBJE tags - a bit more work but I
see this would be very useful
- translate EVEN tags into something useful - I can't find how to make
Gramps add EVEN tags to the gedcom file. Do you know how I could do it to
test it?

BTW, if anyone would like to contribute to the project, I'd be very happy to
receive pull requests. All bug reports and feature requests are more than
welcome.

Cheers,
Przemek

Source View reverts to Source only on restart of GRAMPS

GRAMPS - User mailing list
It may well be something I have done, but whenever I start GRAMPS the
Source View only shows the Sources without the Citations.

I have to select View/Citation Tree.

What is the cure ?

George Baynes

Re: Source View reverts to Source only on restart of GRAMPS

Dave Scheipers
Hi George

It's working for me. I am using 5.1.1

I had to go looking for where this information is stored. It is in the
gramps.ini file in your user files and in your gramps version folder.

I am on Windows so for me it is
c:\user\%username%\appdata\roaming\gramps\gramps51\gramps.ini

Towards the bottom under [preferences] there will be last-views=[

One of the list items will be either sourceview or citationtreeview

So with Gramps closed, try editing this line.  And something to check,
make sure there is not two semi-colons (;;) at the start of this line.

If this does not help, let us know which version of Gramps you are
using. Someone else may have other ideas.

Dave

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 3:52 PM george via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It may well be something I have done, but whenever I start GRAMPS the
> Source View only shows the Sources without the Citations.
>
> I have to select View/Citation Tree.
>
> What is the cure ?
>
> George Baynes

Re: Source View reverts to Source only on restart of GRAMPS

Citations aren't supposed to be in the Source View. It is a summary view.  However, the Citation detail can be expounded upon within this View window using a Gramplet

Try enabling the split-screen Sidebar (or Bottombar) in the Sources view
Then, add the 'References' Gramplet which will list the Citations.

The QuickView add-on gramplet could also be used to list the Citations. But it only lists that it is a Type:Citation & the ID. (It doesn't include the Source title. Although redundant, showing the title relieves the desires to double-check which Source is selected.)

Neither add-on provides the 'Name' column (which actually corresponds to the Volume/Page field in the Citation Editor) normally displayed in the References tab of the Source Editor.

-Brian

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 14:54, george via Gramps-users
It may well be something I have done, but whenever I start GRAMPS the
Source View only shows the Sources without the Citations.

I have to select View/Citation Tree.

What is the cure ?

George Baynes

Re: Source View reverts to Source only on restart of GRAMPS

Tom Hughes
Actually it has a second mode, selected by a toolbar button, where
it shows a tree view with an expandable list of citations for each
source in the main list.

I assume that is what was being referred to here.

Tom

On 20/11/2019 22:04, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:

> Citations aren't supposed to be in the Source View. It is a summary
> view.  However, the Citation detail can be expounded upon within this
> View window using a Gramplet
>
> Try enabling the split-screen Sidebar (or Bottombar) in the Sources view
> Then, add the 'References' Gramplet which will list the Citations.
>
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Gramplets#References
>
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Gramplets#The_split-screen_Sidebar_.26_Bottombar
>
> The QuickView add-on gramplet could also be used to list the Citations.
> But it only lists that it is a Type:Citation & the ID. (It doesn't
> include the Source title. Although redundant, showing the title relieves
> the desires to double-check which Source is selected.)
>
> Neither add-on provides the 'Name' column (which actually corresponds to
> the Volume/Page field in the Citation Editor) normally displayed in the
> References tab of the Source Editor.
>
> -Brian
>
>     On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 14:54, george via Gramps-users
>     <[hidden email]> wrote:
>     It may well be something I have done, but whenever I start GRAMPS the
>     Source View only shows the Sources without the Citations.
>
>     I have to select View/Citation Tree.
>
>     What is the cure ?
>
>     George Baynes
>

>     --

Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Source View reverts to Source only on restart of GRAMPS

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Interesting. I'd missed that View mode entirely... and I'm kinda glad I had. It would've thrown a curve ball into the game.

The 2 modes are not sync'd because their orientation is on different record types. The Tree mode is locked to the Citation selected in the Citation View. The Sources is on the Selected Source... and you can't change the Source selection in one from the other.

Frankly, I think this option has been placed in the wrong View.  It fits the Citation View far better. It's much like the Grouped People & People modes of the People View.

-Brian

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 16:27, Tom Hughes

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Source View reverts to Source only on restart of GRAMPS

Dave Scheipers
Hi Brian

I am surprised that you did not know about this view.  I find it handy
to check that I am using the same standardization of information in
the V/P field. In the view, this information is automatically sorted
under the Source. Very handy.

I  raised the issue after realizing the Citation Tree was based upon
the citation, not the source.  I found how to move the view off the
Source and add it to Citations.  Any time I went to the Citation view,
I wanted the flat citation list, not the tree so I finally put it back
with Source.

Dave

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 7:04 PM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting. I'd missed that View mode entirely... and I'm kinda glad I had. It would've thrown a curve ball into the game.
>
> The 2 modes are not sync'd because their orientation is on different record types. The Tree mode is locked to the Citation selected in the Citation View. The Sources is on the Selected Source... and you can't change the Source selection in one from the other.
>
> Frankly, I think this option has been placed in the wrong View.  It fits the Citation View far better. It's much like the Grouped People & People modes of the People View.
>
> -Brian
>
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 16:27, Tom Hughes
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually it has a second mode, selected by a toolbar button, where
> it shows a tree view with an expandable list of citations for each
> source in the main list.
>
> I assume that is what was being referred to here.
>
> Tom
>
> On 20/11/2019 22:04, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
> > Citations aren't supposed to be in the Source View. It is a summary
> > view.  However, the Citation detail can be expounded upon within this
> > View window using a Gramplet
> >
> > Try enabling the split-screen Sidebar (or Bottombar) in the Sources view
> > Then, add the 'References' Gramplet which will list the Citations.
> >
> > https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Gramplets#References
> >
> > https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Gramplets#The_split-screen_Sidebar_.26_Bottombar
> >
> > The QuickView add-on gramplet could also be used to list the Citations.
> > But it only lists that it is a Type:Citation & the ID. (It doesn't
> > include the Source title. Although redundant, showing the title relieves
> > the desires to double-check which Source is selected.)
> >
> > Neither add-on provides the 'Name' column (which actually corresponds to
> > the Volume/Page field in the Citation Editor) normally displayed in the
> > References tab of the Source Editor.
> >
> > -Brian
> >
> >    On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 14:54, george via Gramps-users
> >    <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >    It may well be something I have done, but whenever I start GRAMPS the
> >    Source View only shows the Sources without the Citations.
> >
> >    I have to select View/Citation Tree.
> >
> >    What is the cure ?
> >
> >    George Baynes
> >

> >    --

> Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
> http://compton.nu/

Re: Source View reverts to Source only on restart of GRAMPS

Thanks Dave, I too use 5.1.1 on LMDE and when I look in gramps.ini file
as you suggest, I have

last-views=['dashboardview', 'personview', 'relview', 'familyview',
'fanchartdescview', 'eventview', 'placelistview', 'geo6',
'citationtreeview', 'citationlistview', 'repoview', 'mediaview', 'noteview']

But when I start Gramps and look at the Sources view, it does not show
the Citation Tree.

The only thing I can think of which may be causing the problem is that
Gramps opens up with the Dashboard showing.

but I cannot find how to stop it doing that. - Found it. That cured it.
So is that a bug or an undocumented feature ?

George Baynes

On 20/11/2019 21:50, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi George
>
> It's working for me. I am using 5.1.1
>
> I had to go looking for where this information is stored. It is in the
> gramps.ini file in your user files and in your gramps version folder.
>
> I am on Windows so for me it is
> c:\user\%username%\appdata\roaming\gramps\gramps51\gramps.ini
>
> Towards the bottom under [preferences] there will be last-views=[
>
> One of the list items will be either sourceview or citationtreeview
>
> So with Gramps closed, try editing this line.  And something to check,
> make sure there is not two semi-colons (;;) at the start of this line.
>
> If this does not help, let us know which version of Gramps you are
> using. Someone else may have other ideas.
>
> Dave
>
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 3:52 PM george via Gramps-users
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> It may well be something I have done, but whenever I start GRAMPS the
>> Source View only shows the Sources without the Citations.
>>
>> I have to select View/Citation Tree.
>>
>> What is the cure ?
>>
>> George Baynes

Re: Source View reverts to Source only on restart of GRAMPS

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 15:24:04 +0000
george via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello george,

>So is that a bug or an undocumented feature ?

When you open Gramps without "Use last displayed view" (I think the
option is called), default options/views are used.  This is documented.

So, IMO, the answer is "Neither".

--
 Regards  _
First night nerves every one night stand

Re: Source View reverts to Source only on restart of GRAMPS

Hi George

When you say "Found It." Do you mean that you found the Preference's
"Remember last view displayed" check box?

It has been so long that I no longer think of that option until you
stated that Gramps always opened on the Dashboard.

Dave

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 10:24 AM george via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Dave, I too use 5.1.1 on LMDE and when I look in gramps.ini file
> as you suggest, I have
>
> last-views=['dashboardview', 'personview', 'relview', 'familyview',
> 'fanchartdescview', 'eventview', 'placelistview', 'geo6',
> 'citationtreeview', 'citationlistview', 'repoview', 'mediaview', 'noteview']
>
> But when I start Gramps and look at the Sources view, it does not show
> the Citation Tree.
>
> The only thing I can think of which may be causing the problem is that
> Gramps opens up with the Dashboard showing.
>
> but I cannot find how to stop it doing that. - Found it. That cured it.
> So is that a bug or an undocumented feature ?
>
> George Baynes
>
> On 20/11/2019 21:50, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> > Hi George
> >
> > It's working for me. I am using 5.1.1
> >
> > I had to go looking for where this information is stored. It is in the
> > gramps.ini file in your user files and in your gramps version folder.
> >
> > I am on Windows so for me it is
> > c:\user\%username%\appdata\roaming\gramps\gramps51\gramps.ini
> >
> > Towards the bottom under [preferences] there will be last-views=[
> >
> > One of the list items will be either sourceview or citationtreeview
> >
> > So with Gramps closed, try editing this line.  And something to check,
> > make sure there is not two semi-colons (;;) at the start of this line.
> >
> > If this does not help, let us know which version of Gramps you are
> > using. Someone else may have other ideas.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 3:52 PM george via Gramps-users
> > <[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >> It may well be something I have done, but whenever I start GRAMPS the
> >> Source View only shows the Sources without the Citations.
> >>
> >> I have to select View/Citation Tree.
> >>
> >> What is the cure ?
> >>
> >> George Baynes

Re: Source View reverts to Source only on restart of GRAMPS

GRAMPS - User mailing list
The olde memory is not as bad as you think, Dave.

Yes that was the cure.

George Baynes