translation - questions

hou

translation - questions

hou
Hello,
I have two questions about translating .po files.

This article https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Translating_Gramps says that strings like
'manual|Editing_Dates',
should only be translated "if a wiki manual is available in your language". This is not the case for slovak language, so I leave such strings untranslated.
I am confused about strings like
'manual|Merge citations…',
This does not look like a part of link to manual, so should this be translated or not? (in slovak case without existing manual)
Then there are strings like
'manual|General'
which could but also could not be link. How should I know whether to translate it?

Second question is, just to be sure, in strings like
'Citations having notes containing <event>'
I should translate also the word event, right? Can anybody point me to place in GUI where such strings occur?

Thank you,
Ondrej Krc-Jediny.

Re: translation - questions

Nick Hall
On 29/05/14 13:40, [hidden email] wrote:

> I have two questions about translating .po files.
>
> This articlehttps://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Translating_Gramps  says that strings like
> 'manual|Editing_Dates',
> should only be translated "if a wiki manual is available in your language". This is not the case for slovak language, so I leave such strings untranslated.
> I am confused about strings like
> 'manual|Merge citations…',
> This does not look like a part of link to manual, so should this be translated or not? (in slovak case without existing manual)
> Then there are strings like
> 'manual|General'
> which could but also could not be link. How should I know whether to translate it?

I have just checked in the code.  All of the strings with a "manual"
context are used to form a web address in wiki user manual.  So you
should not translate them until you translate the user manual.

'manual|Merge citations…' is used in the help button in the Merge
Citations Tool.
'manual|General' is used in the error reporting wizard.

> Second question is, just to be sure, in strings like
> 'Citations having notes containing <event>'
> I should translate also the word event, right? Can anybody point me to place in GUI where such strings occur?

Yes.  Translate all of these strings.

They are the names of rules.  Invoke a filter editor from the edit menu,
and then add a new rule to see the rule names.