translation-related typos

Alex Roitman
Hi,

Just noticed a few typos while working on the po file:

1. The following probably should not be marked as translatable:

#: ../src/plugins/unused.glade.h:11
#, fuzzy
msgid "gtk-remove"

For translators: it should be enough to keep it fuzzy for now.
Fuzzy strings don't show up in the compiled mo file, so fuzzy
is as good as not translated.

But it should be fixed in the source. Except, why do we
even have the .h file? Should we not get rid of it?
Is it a runaway thing in the gramps.pot?

2. A space is missing:

#: ../src/FilterEditor/_FilterEditor.py:191
msgid ""
"This filter is currently being used as the base for other filters. "
"Deletingthis filter will result in removing all other filters that
depend on "
"it."

"Deletingthis" has a missing space. Should we fix it and re-do all
the po files? Or should we let this go for the next release?

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://gramps-project.org

Re: translation-related typos

Alex Roitman
On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 11:55 -0700, Alex Roitman wrote:
> #: ../src/plugins/unused.glade.h:11
> #, fuzzy
> msgid "gtk-remove"
[snip]
> But it should be fixed in the source. Except, why do we
> even have the .h file? Should we not get rid of it?
> Is it a runaway thing in the gramps.pot?

Sorry, it was a complete blunder on my part.
The glade file is fixed in SVN now, the pot does not need
to be regenerated. All is fine.

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://gramps-project.org

Re: translation-related typos

Piotr Czubaszek-2
I found a typo in
#: ../src/docgen/PdfDoc.py:368
You do not have the Python Imaging Library installed Images will not
be added to this report

a dot is missing between "installed" and "Images".

Piotrek

On 10/11/07, Alex Roitman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just noticed a few typos while working on the po file:
>
> 1. The following probably should not be marked as translatable:
>
> #: ../src/plugins/unused.glade.h:11
> #, fuzzy
> msgid "gtk-remove"
>
> For translators: it should be enough to keep it fuzzy for now.
> Fuzzy strings don't show up in the compiled mo file, so fuzzy
> is as good as not translated.
>
> But it should be fixed in the source. Except, why do we
> even have the .h file? Should we not get rid of it?
> Is it a runaway thing in the gramps.pot?
>
> 2. A space is missing:
>
> #: ../src/FilterEditor/_FilterEditor.py:191
> msgid ""
> "This filter is currently being used as the base for other filters. "
> "Deletingthis filter will result in removing all other filters that
> depend on "
> "it."
>
> "Deletingthis" has a missing space. Should we fix it and re-do all
> the po files? Or should we let this go for the next release?
>
> Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Roitman   http://gramps-project.org

Re: translation-related typos

bm-5
Alex, don't forget to patch trunk also with this.

benny

Re: translation-related typos

> "Deletingthis" has a missing space.
> Or should we let this go for the next release?

I will wait next release ...

> msgid "gtk-remove"
>
> For translators: it should be enough to keep it fuzzy for now.
> Fuzzy strings don't show up in the compiled mo file, so fuzzy
> is as good as not translated.

Alex,

I made a simple translation "remove" !!!
This is a text button on "remove unused" tool

Seems to be a GTK icon  (I don't see any icon on this button)
"gtk-remove" alternative text will display the button function.

There is an other one : "gtk-search" or something like that.

Also, do I have time to try to generate a new translation for gramps
2.2.9 : lv.po ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_language

I don't speak or write Lettish but currently I have a lv.po, which have
1400 translated strings on 2007-08-24 (65-68%)

Alex Roitman a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Just noticed a few typos while working on the po file:
>
> 1. The following probably should not be marked as translatable:
>
> #: ../src/plugins/unused.glade.h:11
> #, fuzzy
> msgid "gtk-remove"
>
> For translators: it should be enough to keep it fuzzy for now.
> Fuzzy strings don't show up in the compiled mo file, so fuzzy
> is as good as not translated.
>
> But it should be fixed in the source. Except, why do we
> even have the .h file? Should we not get rid of it?
> Is it a runaway thing in the gramps.pot?
>
> 2. A space is missing:
>
> #: ../src/FilterEditor/_FilterEditor.py:191
> msgid ""
> "This filter is currently being used as the base for other filters. "
> "Deletingthis filter will result in removing all other filters that
> depend on "
> "it."
>
> "Deletingthis" has a missing space. Should we fix it and re-do all
> the po files? Or should we let this go for the next release?
>
> Alex

Re: translation-related typos

Stéphane Charette-2
> Also, do I have time to try to generate a new translation for gramps
> 2.2.9 : lv.po ?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_language
>
> I don't speak or write Lettish but currently I have a lv.po, which have
> 1400 translated strings on 2007-08-24 (65-68%)

I assume you're kidding, right?  You don't speak or write the
language, but you have 1400 strings translated?

(BTW -- thanks for bringing fr.po back down to 100% coverage.)  :)

Stéphane

Re: translation-related typos

jerome
> I assume you're kidding, right?  You don't speak or write the
> language, but you have 1400 strings translated?

It is possible !!!

https://translations.launchpad.net/gramps/head/+pots/gramps/lv/
;) gints (at) venta.lv

"try to generate" = to merge lv.po with current gramps.pot :)

Stéphane Charette a écrit :

>> Also, do I have time to try to generate a new translation for gramps
>> 2.2.9 : lv.po ?
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_language
>>
>> I don't speak or write Lettish but currently I have a lv.po, which have
>> 1400 translated strings on 2007-08-24 (65-68%)
>
> I assume you're kidding, right?  You don't speak or write the
> language, but you have 1400 strings translated?
>
> (BTW -- thanks for bringing fr.po back down to 100% coverage.)  :)
>
> Stéphane

Re: translation-related typos

jerome
Stéphane,

We can merge lv.po with current gramps.pot and ask him if he wants to
update the generated file before 2.2.9 (next few days) ?

Jérôme a écrit :

>> I assume you're kidding, right?  You don't speak or write the
>> language, but you have 1400 strings translated?
>
> It is possible !!!
>
> https://translations.launchpad.net/gramps/head/+pots/gramps/lv/
> ;) gints (at) venta.lv
>
> "try to generate" = to merge lv.po with current gramps.pot :)
>

> Stéphane Charette a écrit :
>>> Also, do I have time to try to generate a new translation for gramps
>>> 2.2.9 : lv.po ?
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_language
>>>
>>> I don't speak or write Lettish but currently I have a lv.po, which have
>>> 1400 translated strings on 2007-08-24 (65-68%)
>> I assume you're kidding, right?  You don't speak or write the
>> language, but you have 1400 strings translated?
>>
>> (BTW -- thanks for bringing fr.po back down to 100% coverage.)  :)
>>
>> Stéphane

Re: translation-related typos

Stéphane Charette-2
So ask him to take his existing 1400 string translation and update to
the new 3095 strings?

If people think this is a good idea, please let me know.  I've never
done translations before, so I don't know how long it takes, nor the
possible benefits we get from holding up the 2.2.9 release.  My
uneducated guess is this is asking for too much too close to the
deadline.

BTW, what finally shocked me into doing 2.2.9 ASAP rather than wait
was that in 6 days from now, Ubuntu 7.10 gets released.
(http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/countdown) And anyone that upgrades
to 7.10 will find they can no longer get to their genealogy data
because GRAMPS will seg fault on startup -- the infamous gtkspell bug.

(If it wasn't already obvious, I run Ubuntu.)

Can I get another developer to weigh in on the topic?  Just so I know
if I'm at least in the ballpark?

Thanks.

Stéphane

Re: translation-related typos

jgsack
Stéphane Charette wrote:

> So ask him to take his existing 1400 string translation and update to
> the new 3095 strings?
>
> If people think this is a good idea, please let me know.  I've never
> done translations before, so I don't know how long it takes, nor the
> possible benefits we get from holding up the 2.2.9 release.  My
> uneducated guess is this is asking for too much too close to the
> deadline.
>
> BTW, what finally shocked me into doing 2.2.9 ASAP rather than wait
> was that in 6 days from now, Ubuntu 7.10 gets released.
> (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/countdown) And anyone that upgrades
> to 7.10 will find they can no longer get to their genealogy data
> because GRAMPS will seg fault on startup -- the infamous gtkspell bug.
>
> (If it wasn't already obvious, I run Ubuntu.)
>
> Can I get another developer to weigh in on the topic?  Just so I know
> if I'm at least in the ballpark?

First, I would offer that it's well worthwhile paying attention to the
distro deadlines. At least being aware of them -- beforehand, of course. ;-)

So how does it work. How do App-packages get into the repository? What's
the process?

Regards,
..jim

Re: translation-related typos

> I've never done translations before, so I don't know how long it takes, nor the possible benefits we get from holding up the 2.2.9 release.

He takes part on Ubuntu translators team.
They have translation database ...

Don't always need to write the translation. Maybe he could
validate/verify Translation Memory work !!!

Quoting Jérôme <[hidden email]>:

>> "Deletingthis" has a missing space.
>> Or should we let this go for the next release?
>
> I will wait next release ...
>
>> msgid "gtk-remove"
>>
>> For translators: it should be enough to keep it fuzzy for now.
>> Fuzzy strings don't show up in the compiled mo file, so fuzzy
>> is as good as not translated.
>
> Alex,
>
> I made a simple translation "remove" !!!
> This is a text button on "remove unused" tool
>
> Seems to be a GTK icon  (I don't see any icon on this button)
> "gtk-remove" alternative text will display the button function.

gtk-remove may not be translated, or you will no longer see an icon.

> There is an other one : "gtk-search" or something like that.

The same here. Where is this gtk-search, can you give the filename? It
should be
changed to untranslatable.

Quoting Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]>:

> So ask him to take his existing 1400 string translation and update to
> the new 3095 strings?
>
> If people think this is a good idea, please let me know.  I've never
> done translations before, so I don't know how long it takes, nor the
> possible benefits we get from holding up the 2.2.9 release.  My
> uneducated guess is this is asking for too much too close to the
> deadline.
>
> BTW, what finally shocked me into doing 2.2.9 ASAP rather than wait
> was that in 6 days from now, Ubuntu 7.10 gets released.
> (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/countdown) And anyone that upgrades
> to 7.10 will find they can no longer get to their genealogy data
> because GRAMPS will seg fault on startup -- the infamous gtkspell bug.
>
> (If it wasn't already obvious, I run Ubuntu.)
>
> Can I get another developer to weigh in on the topic?  Just so I know
> if I'm at least in the ballpark?

Personally, I would not distribute languages with are below 60 or 75%
I think it bad marketing if people see GRAMPS so partially translated.
You could
mail the translators of those packages, that their language will no longer
be
distributed and change the configure.in likewise.

About the Ubuntu bug, Ubuntu has their own patched version of 2.2.8, it
is only
to be hoped that on a dist-upgrade, the version number of 2.2.8 package is
higher than our 2.2.8 package version, so that the new version is
obtained from
their repositories....

Note that you cannot just announce 2.2.9, you need to release a
release-candidate first, and do a call for testing. Some of the changes
need to
be tested more, proof being the bug in a bug-fix I found. Getting a release
version out, and releasing one week later is the way to sleep a bit better.
As most bugs in 2.2.9 will fall on my shoulder, I would greatly appreciate
if
sufficient testing time is given for release version.

Benny

PS: you should ask Don/Alex what version you should give the release
candidate.
I think the GRAMPS 2.2.9-0.SVN9157M is ok, you then call the real version
GRAMPS 2.2.9-1

Re: translation-related typos

> gtk-remove may not be translated, or you will no longer see an icon.

OK, we use GTK translations for "remove unused object" buttons, then I
will commit a new fr.po  and "gtk-xxx" will be marked as fuzzy ... :-[

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 00:37 -0700, Stéphane Charette wrote:
> BTW, what finally shocked me into doing 2.2.9 ASAP rather than wait
> was that in 6 days from now, Ubuntu 7.10 gets released.
> (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/countdown) And anyone that upgrades
> to 7.10 will find they can no longer get to their genealogy data
> because GRAMPS will seg fault on startup -- the infamous gtkspell bug.

Actually, no, the Ubuntu people patched it and it no longer craches
with gutsy. Just installed it on gutsy and gramps_2.2.8-1ubuntu2 has
the workaround in place. So we don't need to rush because of this.

Alex

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 00:46 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> Alex, don't forget to patch trunk also with this.

Done, thanks.

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 10:56 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> gtk-remove may not be translated, or you will no longer see an icon.
>
> > There is an other one : "gtk-search" or something like that.
> >
> The same here. Where is this gtk-search, can you give the filename? It
> should be changed to untranslatable.

It was gtk-find in the same file, also fixed in both branches
in SVN now.

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://gramps-project.org

Re: translation-related typos

Alex Roitman
Piotr,

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 21:25 +0200, Piotr Czubaszek wrote:
> I found a typo in
> #: ../src/docgen/PdfDoc.py:368
> You do not have the Python Imaging Library installed Images will not
> be added to this report
>
> a dot is missing between "installed" and "Images".

I have committed the fix to the 2.2.x branch now, thanks.

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://gramps-project.org