trouble re-activating Gramps on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

trouble re-activating Gramps on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

paul womack
Finally upgraded from 14.04 to 16.04

I install gramps from source, because I've made some tiny changes
to the behaviour of a couple of GUI items.

I upgrade my Gramps source from 4.2.2 to 4.2.6,
did a
   python3 setup.py build
   sudo python3 setup.py install

And hit this warning in the GUI:

QUOTE

The view Graph View did not load and reported an error.

Goocanvas 2 (http://live.gnome.org/GooCanvas) is required for this view to work

If you are unable to fix the fault yourself then you can submit a bug at http://gramps-project.org/bugs or contact the view author ([hidden email]).

If you do not want Gramps to try and load this view again, you can hide it by using the Plugin Manager on the Help menu.

ENDQUOTE

Accompanied by this at the command line:

QUOTE
  Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 890, in _find_spec
AttributeError: 'DynamicImporter' object has no attribute 'find_spec'

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/bugbear/.gramps/gramps42/plugins/GraphView/graphview.py", line 76, in <module>
     from gi.repository import GooCanvas
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/importer.py", line 127, in find_module
     'introspection typelib not found' % namespace)
ImportError: cannot import name GooCanvas, introspection typelib not found

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/gramps/gen/plug/_manager.py", line 223, in load_plugin
     _module = self.import_plugin(pdata)
   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/gramps/gen/plug/_manager.py", line 256, in import_plugin
     module = __import__(pdata.mod_name)
   File "/home/bugbear/.gramps/gramps42/plugins/GraphView/graphview.py", line 78, in <module>
     raise Exception("Goocanvas 2 (http://live.gnome.org/GooCanvas) is "
Exception: Goocanvas 2 (http://live.gnome.org/GooCanvas) is required for this view to work

ENDQUOTE

According to apt-get I already have goocanvas-2;

QUOTE
sudo apt-get build-dep libgoocanvas-2.0-9
Reading package lists... Done
Picking 'goocanvas-2.0' as source package instead of 'libgoocanvas-2.0-9'
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
   hugin-data hugin-tools libboost-filesystem1.54.0 libboost-system1.54.0 libcdaudio1 libfaac0 libgd-dev libglew1.10 libilmbase6
   libopenexr6 libpano13-3 libpano13-bin libslv2-9 libvigraimpex5 libvpx-dev libwxbase3.0-0 libwxgtk3.0-0 libxpm-dev libxt-dev
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
ENDQUOTE

I also have package "python-pygoocanvas"

Hiding GraphView does indeed suppress this error...

Assuming I want to use GraphView (which worked before the "upgrade") can anyone help?

  BugBear

Re: trouble re-activating Gramps on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Nick Hall
On 25/10/17 13:55, paul womack wrote:
> Assuming I want to use GraphView (which worked before the "upgrade")
> can anyone help?

Install the gir1.2-goocanvas-2.0 package.

Nick Hall wrote:
> On 25/10/17 13:55, paul womack wrote:
>> Assuming I want to use GraphView (which worked before the "upgrade") can anyone help?
>
> Install the gir1.2-goocanvas-2.0 package.

Thank you! I just managed to leverage the installers
work by adding the PPA

https://launchpad.net/~hugin/+archive/ubuntu/hugin-builds

installing the package, noting the recommended dependancies,
UNINSTALLING the package, installing the recommended dependancies,
and finally re-installing from the source.

This works! Only remaining issue is:

/home/bugbear/.gramps/gramps42/plugins/GraphView/graphview.py:76: PyGIWarning: GooCanvas was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('GooCanvas', '2.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
   from gi.repository import GooCanvas

I'll see if there are any source changes in the Plugin.

On 25/10/17 14:40, paul womack wrote:
This works! Only remaining issue is:

/home/bugbear/.gramps/gramps42/plugins/GraphView/graphview.py:76: PyGIWarning: GooCanvas was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('GooCanvas', '2.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import GooCanvas

I'll see if there are any source changes in the Plugin.

You can just ignore the warning or add the following lines before the import:

import gi

Nick Hall wrote:

> On 25/10/17 14:40, paul womack wrote:
>> This works! Only remaining issue is:
>>
>> /home/bugbear/.gramps/gramps42/plugins/GraphView/graphview.py:76: PyGIWarning: GooCanvas was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('GooCanvas', '2.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
>>   from gi.repository import GooCanvas
>>
>> I'll see if there are any source changes in the Plugin.
>
> You can just ignore the warning or add the following lines before the import:
>
> import gi
> gi.require_version('GooCanvas', '2.0')

Looks like it's already fixed in the source. I did a delete/download
pair, and all is clean and well.

As ever, thanks to the Gramps DEV team!

  BugBear