two problems with 2.0.8

Duncan Lithgow
Before I file a bug report I'll ask here...

Case 1:
As far as I can tell the ScrathPad doesn't work. The icon appears, the
ScratchPad opens up if I click on the button - but after that I cannot
do anything. Clicking in the blank area does nothing. The only thing
that responds is if I click on the close button.

Case 2:
As far as I can see something is missing/ wrong with the help stuff.
Nothing happens when I click on any of the help buttons.

Version: 2.0.8 running on Ubuntu, taken from the Ubuntu repository.
(can't compile 2.0.9 myself but would happily install it if someone has
it for Ubuntu 5.10)

Otherwise having lots of fun with it.

Duncan

Re: two problems with 2.0.8

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:50:59 +0100
Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Duncan,

> As far as I can tell the ScrathPad doesn't work. The icon appears,

Same here in 2.0.9.

> Case 2:
> As far as I can see something is missing/ wrong with the help stuff.
> Nothing happens when I click on any of the help buttons.

You need to be online.  Help buttons take you to the online
documentation.

--
  Regards  _
          / )        "The blindingly obvious is

Re: two problems with 2.0.8

Brian Matherly-4
The only thing I use the scratchpad for is copying sources.

If you have a source that you would like to duplicate, click and drag the source onto the scratchpad. Then you can drag the source from the scratchpad onto an event, name, or whatever in gramps (under the sources tab).

This is useful when I have an obituary, for example. I enter the obituary as a source on the first piece of information. Then I drag it to the scratchpad. Now any other information I add from that obituary I don't have to retype the source; I just click and drag it.

I'm using 2.0.9.

~Brian

> As far as I can tell the ScrathPad doesn't work. The icon appears,

Same here in 2.0.9.

> Case 2:
> As far as I can see something is missing/ wrong with the help stuff.
> Nothing happens when I click on any of the help buttons.

You need to be online.  Help buttons take you to the online
documentation.

--
  Regards  _
          / )        "The blindingly obvious is
         / _)rad     never immediately apparent"

Re: two problems with 2.0.8

Richard Taylor-2
On Thursday 12 Jan 2006 16:06, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:50:59 +0100
> Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Duncan,
>
> > As far as I can tell the ScrathPad doesn't work. The icon appears,
>
> Same here in 2.0.9.

You are meant to use the ScratchPad by dragging and dropping things to/from
it. Try opening it and dragging a person from the People view on to it and
see if it works.

This article provides some examples of using the ScratchPad.
http://gramps-project.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=13&MMN_position=28:9

Regards

Richard

--
You can normally find me on Jabber as [hidden email]

Re: two problems with 2.0.8

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:48:00 +0000
Richard Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Richard,

> You are meant to use the ScratchPad by dragging and dropping things

Thanks, Richard (and Brian) for that.  Obviously, I had a
misunderstanding of how the Scratchpad is supposed to work.  Thanks for
clearing it up.

--
  Regards  _
          / )        "The blindingly obvious is
         / _)rad     never immediately apparent"

Re: two problems with 2.0.8

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:10:38 -0800
Alex Roitman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Alex,

> > Same here in 2.0.9.
> drag and drop into/from ScratchPad.

Yep, thanks for that.

> > You need to be online.  Help buttons take you to the online
> > documentation.
> You only have to be online if the gnome help is not working.

Ah, I see.  As KDE user, Gnome help wouldn't be working here.

Alex Roitman wrote:

>You only have to be online if the gnome help is not working.
>An online help is the fallback, the real help should be displayed
>in yelp, the gnome help browsers.
>
>The gnome2.12 introduced yet another incompatibility in the help path.
>We have a workaround for this in 2.0.9.
>With 2.0.8 on Ubuntu, one can create a symlink to make help work:
>   $ cd /usr/share/gramps/gnome/help/gramps
>   $ sudo ln -s . gramps

Thanks, that fixed that problem.

Duncan

Re: two problems with 2.0.8

Duncan Lithgow
Brad Rogers wrote:

>Thanks, Richard (and Brian) for that.  Obviously, I had a
>misunderstanding of how the Scratchpad is supposed to work.  Thanks for
>clearing it up.

Wouldn't it be better to call it a 'clipboard', 'pastebox' or something
else which doesn't  sound like you can write (scratch) in it?

Or just make it part of the database and make it for editable text.

Duncan

Re: two problems with 2.0.8

bm-7
Hi,

concerning your installing problems of 2.0.9 version on Ubuntu.

I have 2.0.9 on Ubuntu. Apparently officially 2.0.9 will be made available in
the next Ubuntu release (dapper), as you can find it in the repositories of
dapper. I find it strange they don't allow it to be upgraded for breezy users,
as this is more like bug fixes. Perhaps they don't know this and think this is
really another version?

To get 2.0.9 on breezy (5.10):
1/get alien: sudo apt-get install alien
2/get the rpm on the gramps website: gramps.rpm
3/run: sudo alien gramps.rpm
this creates gramps.deb
4/upgrade the present 2.0.8 version: sudo dpkg -i gramps-RC.deb
Under no circumstance remove 2.0.8. The rpm pakkage contains no info on gconf
and such, so you only get a working 2.0.9 by upgrading like this.

Check if it worked: See with Synaptic/Adept that gramps now is package
2.0.9. In
case of problems: remove the package: sudo dpkg -r gramps, and reinstall with
Synaptic/Adept the 2.0.8 version.

Of course, copy your gramps database to a backup file for extra savety.

Benny.

Quoting Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]>:

> Brad Rogers wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Richard (and Brian) for that.  Obviously, I had a
>> misunderstanding of how the Scratchpad is supposed to work.  Thanks for
>> clearing it up.
>>
> Wouldn't it be better to call it a 'clipboard', 'pastebox' or
> something else which doesn't  sound like you can write (scratch) in
> it?
>
> Or just make it part of the database and make it for editable text.
>
> Duncan

Re: two problems with 2.0.8

Eero Tamminen-2

On Friday 13 January 2006 14:35, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> >Thanks, Richard (and Brian) for that.  Obviously, I had a
> >misunderstanding of how the Scratchpad is supposed to work.  Thanks for
> >clearing it up.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to call it a 'clipboard', 'pastebox' or something
> else which doesn't  sound like you can write (scratch) in it?

I second that.  When I first saw it in Gramps I couldn't understand what it
was for until I read how it was supposed to be used  (then the lightbulb
came above my head with word "clipboard"...)

> Or just make it part of the database and make it for editable text.

        - Eero