two small ideas

N James Bridge
Hi

I have just discovered Gramps, so am jumping in with both feet. First
thing to say is, I like it.

Idea 1) When gramps has a date entered as the year only (1984) it stores
it as 1984-00-00. Fine, but why display it like that? Surely the zero
values could just be stripped off? Then it would be more obvious to the
eye that the date was less accurate.

Idea 2) When gramps (2.2.8, anyway) has a baptism but not a birth, it
uses the baptism date in the relationships view. Again fine, but there
ought to be some indication, such as "bap. 1940-05-20" as opposed to
"b. 1940-04-10".

Question: is there a difference between a baptism and a christening?

--
N James Bridge          http://www.xmas.demon.co.uk

Re: two small ideas

Piotr Czubaszek-2
On 8/19/07, N James Bridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have just discovered Gramps, so am jumping in with both feet. First
> thing to say is, I like it.
>
> Idea 1) When gramps has a date entered as the year only (1984) it stores
> it as 1984-00-00. Fine, but why display it like that? Surely the zero
> values could just be stripped off? Then it would be more obvious to the
> eye that the date was less accurate.

This is how the date is represented in the ISO format. Other formats
omit zeros. To change date display format go to Edit -> Preferences ->
Display.

> Idea 2) When gramps (2.2.8, anyway) has a baptism but not a birth, it
> uses the baptism date in the relationships view. Again fine, but there
> ought to be some indication, such as "bap. 1940-05-20" as opposed to
> "b. 1940-04-10".

Baptism often takes place soon after birth so birth date might be
estimated by this event. It is often usueful to know at least the
estitmated birth date. To avoid you could add a birth event, where the
date doesn't have to be exact, you may use date modifieres like
around, fter, before etc. To find all the options, click Date
selection button next to any date field. You may also type no date at
all.
If you find it a bug, please file a bug report at
http://bugs.gramps-project.org/ so that it can further discussed and
not forgotten by the developers.

> Question: is there a difference between a baptism and a christening?

I'm not a native English speaker so I'm not sure why these two options
are provided.

> N James Bridge

Piotrek

Re: two small ideas

bm-5
Quoting Piotr Czubaszek <[hidden email]>:

> On 8/19/07, N James Bridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have just discovered Gramps, so am jumping in with both feet. First
>> thing to say is, I like it.
>>
>> Idea 1) When gramps has a date entered as the year only (1984) it stores
>> it as 1984-00-00. Fine, but why display it like that? Surely the zero
>> values could just be stripped off? Then it would be more obvious to the
>> eye that the date was less accurate.
>
> This is how the date is represented in the ISO format. Other formats
> omit zeros. To change date display format go to Edit -> Preferences ->
> Display.
>
>> Idea 2) When gramps (2.2.8, anyway) has a baptism but not a birth, it
>> uses the baptism date in the relationships view. Again fine, but there
>> ought to be some indication, such as "bap. 1940-05-20" as opposed to
>> "b. 1940-04-10".
>
> Baptism often takes place soon after birth so birth date might be
> estimated by this event. It is often usueful to know at least the
> estitmated birth date. To avoid you could add a birth event, where the
> date doesn't have to be exact, you may use date modifieres like
> around, fter, before etc. To find all the options, click Date
> selection button next to any date field. You may also type no date at
> all.
> If you find it a bug, please file a bug report at
> http://bugs.gramps-project.org/ so that it can further discussed and
> not forgotten by the developers.
>
>> Question: is there a difference between a baptism and a christening?
>
> I'm not a native English speaker so I'm not sure why these two options
> are provided.

If I remember well, this was because some religions have baptism, but do not
want to be identified with christening.
Also something about name giving was mentioned, in that in christening you get
your cristian name, where baptism not necessarely means that.

benny

Re: two small ideas

Espen Berg-2
Piotr Czubaszek wrote:
> On 8/19/07, N James Bridge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Idea 2) When gramps (2.2.8, anyway) has a baptism but not a birth, it
>> uses the baptism date in the relationships view. Again fine, but there
>> ought to be some indication, such as "bap. 1940-05-20" as opposed to
>> "b. 1940-04-10".
>
> Baptism often takes place soon after birth so birth date might be
> estimated by this event. It is often usueful to know at least the
> estitmated birth date. To avoid you could add a birth event, where the
> date doesn't have to be exact, you may use date modifieres like
> around, fter, before etc. To find all the options, click Date
> selection button next to any date field. You may also type no date at
> all.
> If you find it a bug, please file a bug report at
> http://bugs.gramps-project.org/ so that it can further discussed and
> not forgotten by the developers.
>
>> Question: is there a difference between a baptism and a christening?
>
> I'm not a native English speaker so I'm not sure why these two options
> are provided.

There is a difference between baptism and christening according to the
GEDCOM 5.5 standard:

Baptism:     The event of baptism (not LDS), performed in infancy ot
              later.
Christening: The religious event (not LDS) of baptizing and/or naming a
              child.

In Norwegian context, the most common is to use the tag Christening when
a child is taken to e.g. church to be christened.  Baptism is used by
some religious communities, but the majority is using Christening.  As I
read it, baptism is not neccesary a religous happening.  It can also be
a non-religous ceremony when legally giving the name to a child (perhaps
like non-religous marriage).

So I would not file this as a bug since the GEDCOM 5.5 standard
distinguish between the two types of "giving-name-to-a-child-ceremony".

...and by the way - I'm not a native English spoken person as well, so I
guess some British/American/others could give a better explanation here,
but it's a try ;)

Espen

Re: two small ideas

Don Allingham
On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 21:20 +0100, N James Bridge wrote:

> Question: is there a difference between a baptism and a christening?

For some people, the answer is yes, for others, it is no.

In some denominations for Christianity, a "christening" is a combination
naming ceremony and baptism, typically performed on infants. Many
Christian denominations, infant baptism is not performed, so there is no
"christening", just a baptism. Still others have an infant baptism, but
do not combine it with a formal naming ceremony.

Don