ubuntu 16.04 magic

enno
Devs,

Has anyone else tried the latest ubuntu release? I tried the gnome
version, because I really hate unity, and found some very odd behavior
with the new software manager, something that I really had to repeat to
make sure that I'm not seeing ghosts.

What I've found so far is that when I search the catalog for gramps or
genealogy, there is no result, so I referred to our site, and downloaded
the 3.4.9 .deb, because that's what I use in Mint. I then double clicked
the .deb in my Downloads folder to start the installer.

On doing that, the already familiar ubuntu software installer came up,
warning that I was about to install a 3rd party program, and in that I
clicked install. There was a short move of the embedded progress bar,
but the installation did not complete, and there was no gramps in the
menu. There was no error message either, so I just clicked another time.

This time, I was asked to type my password, and the progress bar went
all the way, after which I found gramps in the menu. But when I started
it, the installed version was 4.2.2 !!!

I then installed synaptic to figure out what was going on, and it
confirmed that the installed gramps was 4.2.2 from the official
repository, and not the downloaded 3.4.9. I then removed gramps with
synaptic, and went through the process again, and found the same thing.

When I try the 4.2.3 .deb, I can repeat clicking the install button, but
the installation will never complete. Installation with dpkg works OK
though.

To me it looks like the ubuntu software installer is a shell that hides
too many things, including the fact that it will install 4.2.2 behind my
back when I click install a 2nd time. And since the 4.2.3 install with
dpkg works fine, there is no real error to be hidden there. It might be
the warning that there is an older version in the official repo, which
is what I see when I try the graphical installer on Mint, but I have no
idea, because it's all hidden.

Similar experience anyone?

regards,

Re: ubuntu 16.04 magic

Ross Gammon
On 05/02/2016 02:53 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Devs,
>
> Has anyone else tried the latest ubuntu release? I tried the gnome
> version, because I really hate unity, and found some very odd behavior
> with the new software manager, something that I really had to repeat to
> make sure that I'm not seeing ghosts.

Not being able to install 3rd party debs is a known bug. A fix will be
landing soon:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+bug/1573408
Until then, your workaround of synaptic or $dpkg -i are the only way.

> What I've found so far is that when I search the catalog for gramps or
> genealogy, there is no result, so I referred to our site, and downloaded
> the 3.4.9 .deb, because that's what I use in Mint. I then double clicked
> the .deb in my Downloads folder to start the installer.

Gramps is not showing up in Gnome Software due to the Appstream set up
in Debian & Ubuntu being more fussy about the format of the desktop file
and icon etc.:
http://appstream.ubuntu.com/xenial/universe/issues/gramps.html
There was no time from the announcement to the release for me to get a
fix uploaded.

I would recommend that we produce an Appstream data file in the new
format. This would then be used instead of the desktop file by Gnome
Software (the desktop file can be left for distributions that haven't
switched to Appstream yet).
https://freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/chap-Quickstart.html
With a new Appstream data file, I could try and get it into Ubuntu as a
Stable Release Update.

> To me it looks like the ubuntu software installer is a shell that hides
> too many things, including the fact that it will install 4.2.2 behind my
> back when I click install a 2nd time.

I think this will also be fixed with the same upload in Ubuntu.

Cheers,

Ross

Re: ubuntu 16.04 magic

DS Blank
On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Ross Gammon <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/02/2016 02:53 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Devs,
>
> Has anyone else tried the latest ubuntu release? I tried the gnome
> version, because I really hate unity, and found some very odd behavior
> with the new software manager, something that I really had to repeat to
> make sure that I'm not seeing ghosts.

Not being able to install 3rd party debs is a known bug. A fix will be
landing soon:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+bug/1573408
Until then, your workaround of synaptic or $dpkg -i are the only way.

> What I've found so far is that when I search the catalog for gramps or
> genealogy, there is no result, so I referred to our site, and downloaded
> the 3.4.9 .deb, because that's what I use in Mint. I then double clicked
> the .deb in my Downloads folder to start the installer.

Gramps is not showing up in Gnome Software due to the Appstream set up
in Debian & Ubuntu being more fussy about the format of the desktop file
and icon etc.:
http://appstream.ubuntu.com/xenial/universe/issues/gramps.html
There was no time from the announcement to the release for me to get a
fix uploaded.

I would recommend that we produce an Appstream data file in the new
format. This would then be used instead of the desktop file by Gnome
Software (the desktop file can be left for distributions that haven't
switched to Appstream yet).
https://freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/chap-Quickstart.html
With a new Appstream data file, I could try and get it into Ubuntu as a
Stable Release Update.

> To me it looks like the ubuntu software installer is a shell that hides
> too many things, including the fact that it will install 4.2.2 behind my
> back when I click install a 2nd time.

I think this will also be fixed with the same upload in Ubuntu.

Cheers,

Ross

Thanks for the updates.

A related question: does this version of Gtk fix the Gtk.Treeview in the Gtk.TextArea bug [1]?

It was suggested in [1] that Gtk 3.18 fixes the issue, and Ubuntu 16.04 would ship with it.

-Doug

Re: ubuntu 16.04 magic

Ross Gammon
On 05/02/2016 05:35 PM, Doug Blank wrote:

> A related question: does this version of Gtk fix the Gtk.Treeview in the
> Gtk.TextArea bug [1]?
>
> It was suggested in [1] that Gtk 3.18 fixes the issue, and Ubuntu 16.04
> would ship with it.
>
> -Doug
>
> [1] - https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7867
I was a bit busy with the Ubuntu release (& planning the next one) to
get around to packaging the latest Gramps :-(
Luckily Sam was helping with some bug triage in Debian while I was busy
(so I am using the opportunity to say thanks Sam!).
I will do some testing over the next week or so, and up date that bug
with with a note on what I find.

Ross

Re: ubuntu 16.04 magic

Hi Ross,

> On 05/02/2016 02:53 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>> Devs,
>>
>> Has anyone else tried the latest ubuntu release? I tried the gnome
>> version, because I really hate unity, and found some very odd behavior
>> with the new software manager, something that I really had to repeat to
>> make sure that I'm not seeing ghosts.
> Not being able to install 3rd party debs is a known bug. A fix will be
> landing soon:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+bug/1573408
> Until then, your workaround of synaptic or $dpkg -i are the only way.
Thanks for mentioning that bug. I need to add that it was a bit of an
oversight from me too, because the subject was mentioned in the How-To
Geek newsletter too, a few days ago, see:

http://www.howtogeek.com/252981/how-to-install-deb-packages-without-ubuntu-software-in-ubuntu-16.04/

Installing GDEBI is a nice solution for me, because that is the standard
.deb application on Mint too, so I know how to operate that.

>> What I've found so far is that when I search the catalog for gramps or
>> genealogy, there is no result, so I referred to our site, and downloaded
>> the 3.4.9 .deb, because that's what I use in Mint. I then double clicked
>> the .deb in my Downloads folder to start the installer.
> Gramps is not showing up in Gnome Software due to the Appstream set up
> in Debian & Ubuntu being more fussy about the format of the desktop file
> and icon etc.:
> http://appstream.ubuntu.com/xenial/universe/issues/gramps.html
> There was no time from the announcement to the release for me to get a
> fix uploaded.
Aha, OK, I understand. I'm not that keen to use ubuntu normally, but the
Mint version based on 16.04 got sort of delayed a bit, so I tried it
anyway. I get the feeling that 16.04 itself was rushed out of the door a
bit, since the Dutch translations are far from complete, at least in the
gnome version.

Re: ubuntu 16.04 magic

Note, there is an appdata file for gramps!
See data folder.

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-devel] ubuntu 16.04 magic
 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Lundi 2 mai 2016, 17h26

 On 05/02/2016 02:53 PM,
 Enno Borgsteede wrote:
 > Devs,
 >
 > Has anyone else
 tried the latest ubuntu release? I tried the gnome
 > version, because I really hate unity, and
 found some very odd behavior
 > with the
 new software manager, something that I really had to repeat
 > make sure that I'm not seeing
 ghosts.

 Not being able to
 install 3rd party debs is a known bug. A fix will be
 landing soon:
 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+bug/1573408
 Until then, your workaround of synaptic or
 $dpkg -i are the only way.

 > What I've found so far is that when I
 search the catalog for gramps or

 genealogy, there is no result, so I referred to our site,
 and downloaded
 > the 3.4.9 .deb, because
 that's what I use in Mint. I then double clicked
 > the .deb in my Downloads folder to start
 the installer.

 Gramps is
 not showing up in Gnome Software due to the Appstream set
 up
 in Debian & Ubuntu being more fussy
 about the format of the desktop file
 and
 icon etc.:
 http://appstream.ubuntu.com/xenial/universe/issues/gramps.html
 There was no time from the announcement to the
 release for me to get a
 fix uploaded.

 I would recommend that we
 produce an Appstream data file in the new
 format. This would then be used instead of the
 desktop file by Gnome
 Software (the desktop
 file can be left for distributions that haven't
 switched to Appstream yet).
 https://freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/chap-Quickstart.html
 With a new Appstream data file, I could try and
 get it into Ubuntu as a
 Stable Release
 Update.

 > To me it looks
 like the ubuntu software installer is a shell that hides
 > too many things, including the fact that
 it will install 4.2.2 behind my
 > back
 when I click install a 2nd time.

 I think this will also be fixed with the same
 upload in Ubuntu.

 Cheers,

 Ross

 trial!

Re: ubuntu 16.04 magic

Ross Gammon
On 05/03/2016 09:50 AM, jerome wrote:
> Note, there is an appdata file for gramps!
> See data folder.

Thanks Jerome. I missed that. Looks like it is installed into the wrong
directory for Debian/Ubuntu, so it should be easy to fix for the next
release.