unable to open old grdb

Beyer, Frank
Hi,
in the past (2007) I forgot to convert two grdb files to the new format.
I forgot the gramps version also.
I tried to open them in version 2.0.8, 2.0.11, 2.2.1-2, 2.2.2-1,
2.2.3-1, 2.2.4-1, 2.2.5-1 and 2.2.6-1, but it doesn't works.

Has someone a hint, how I can convert such a file?

Thanks
Frank

Re: unable to open old grdb

Kenneth Wyrick
Hello,

I'm having a similar problem with a gramps file:
http://caltek.net/wyrick/files/view/wyrick1-gramps.zip that I created
sometime last year. I'm pretty sure that I saved it correctly but I have
no idea what version of Gramps I used to create it.

I've re formatted my hard drive and installed a different version of the
Debian Linux operating system so I'm requesting that someone download and
see if they can open the above file, then either convert it so I can open
it with Gramps 3.0.1-1 or I'm planning to download and install one of the
windows version 3.1.1 or 3.1.2.

Thanks.

On Mon, August 10, 2009 5:15 am, Beyer, Frank wrote:

> Hi,
> in the past (2007) I forgot to convert two grdb files to the new format.
> I forgot the gramps version also.
> I tried to open them in version 2.0.8, 2.0.11, 2.2.1-2, 2.2.2-1,
> 2.2.3-1, 2.2.4-1, 2.2.5-1 and 2.2.6-1, but it doesn't works.
>
> Has someone a hint, how I can convert such a file?
>
> Thanks
> Frank

Cheers! I'm Glad to Be Human

Re: unable to open old grdb

DS Blank
I followed the advice on:

http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_grdb

by doing this:

$ db_dump wyrick1.grdb > wyrick.txt
$ db_load wyrick2.grdb < wyrick.txt

and then loaded it in the current gramps. (Actually, I used trunk, but I would think that the 3.1.2 version would also work). db_dump and db_load were in another Linux package called db_utils.

Hope that helps! (You might want to remove that file...) If you can't do the above, let me know what version of GRAMPS you are using, and I'll email you an XML file.

-Doug

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Kenneth Wyrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I'm having a similar problem with a gramps file:
http://caltek.net/wyrick/files/view/wyrick1-gramps.zip that I created
sometime last year. I'm pretty sure that I saved it correctly but I have
no idea what version of Gramps I used to create it.

I've re formatted my hard drive and installed a different version of the
Debian Linux operating system so I'm requesting that someone download and
see if they can open the above file, then either convert it so I can open
it with Gramps 3.0.1-1 or I'm planning to download and install one of the
windows version 3.1.1 or 3.1.2.

Thanks.

On Mon, August 10, 2009 5:15 am, Beyer, Frank wrote:
> Hi,
> in the past (2007) I forgot to convert two grdb files to the new format.
> I forgot the gramps version also.
> I tried to open them in version 2.0.8, 2.0.11, 2.2.1-2, 2.2.2-1,
> 2.2.3-1, 2.2.4-1, 2.2.5-1 and 2.2.6-1, but it doesn't works.
>
> Has someone a hint, how I can convert such a file?
>
> Thanks
> Frank

Cheers! I'm Glad to Be Human

Re: unable to open old grdb

Beyer, Frank
Hi Doug,

it works.
I can recover one file and I see the data in gramps.
Your the man!

The other file I can't load. I got:
db_load: 4294967294: Numerical result out of range
db_load: db_load: h_nelem=4294967294: Numerical result out of range

Thanks a lot.
Frank

________________________________

------
        > Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal
Reports 2008
        > 30-Day
        > trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment
- and focus
        > on
        > what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new
with

        Cheers! I'm Glad to Be Human

------
        Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports
2008 30-Day
        trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment -
and focus on
        what you do best, core application coding. Discover what's new
with

Re: unable to open old grdb

Benny Malengier
2009/8/11 Beyer, Frank <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Doug,
>
> it works.
> I can recover one file and I see the data in gramps.
> Your the man!
>
> The other file I can't load. I got:
> db_load: 4294967294: Numerical result out of range
> db_load: db_load: h_nelem=4294967294: Numerical result out of range

Never seen that before. The damage to the grdb file might be due to
reasons outside of GRAMPS.

This is an interesting read:
http://kr.forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=494072

So first, make sure you work on a _copy_ of the grdb file.
Then, try the db_recover thing, db_dump, and db_load in an unexisting file.

What version of db_utils do you use?

Re: unable to open old grdb

Beyer, Frank
The db_verify fails.