unsure relationships

Tobias Gehrig-2
Hi,
how do you handle unsure relationships between children and their
parents. Meaning if you have an father, but do not really know if
another person is his child, but probably is. Do you do that by choosing
as relationship "unknown" or simply by adding a note, what I actually
dislike because I cannot easily see the "possible" relationship in the
gui if I do not browse by hand the person list:-/.
The other thing is when you have to person that are probably the same,
but again your are not 100% sure about that. Do you keep them as
separate persons and just add a comment about their possible identity?
Or how do you handle such things?
Thanks for ideas in advance.

MfG
        Tobias

Re: unsure relationships

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 03:17:26 +0200
Tobias Gehrig <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Tobias,

> another person is his child, but probably is. Do you do that by
> choosing as relationship "unknown" or simply by adding a note, what I

Both.  The graphical representation is, to me, merely an aid.  The note
explains the details of what I think the relationship is, and why.

> The other thing is when you have to person that are probably the same,
> but again your are not 100% sure about that. Do you keep them as
> separate persons and just add a comment about their possible identity?

I would keep them separate, but note the possibility of same identity in
both person's notes.  So far, I've been lucky, and not had it happen.

Of course, that's just the way *I* would do things.  As the Americans
say;  Your mileage may vary.

--
 Regards  _

This is the fifty first state of the USA
Heartland - The The

Re: unsure relationships

bm-5
Quoting Tobias Gehrig <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> how do you handle unsure relationships between children and their
> parents. Meaning if you have an father, but do not really know if
> another person is his child, but probably is. Do you do that by choosing
> as relationship "unknown" or simply by adding a note, what I actually
> dislike because I cannot easily see the "possible" relationship in the
> gui if I do not browse by hand the person list:-/.

Both. Set relationship to the correct type, add a type if unknown
doesn't do it
for you.
Add a note with the reason of your suspicions

> The other thing is when you have to person that are probably the same,
> but again your are not 100% sure about that. Do you keep them as
> separate persons and just add a comment about their possible identity?

Be carefull not to merge people to soon.
You can add people to multiple families, that reduces some of the
problems, that
is, you can add two different persons as father, even though you think both
might be the same.
Have not really been confronted by this, I suppose you could make a custom
marker type for this, eg 'double', so that you quickly can call these people
up.
Notes will of course be very important to document your reasonings for
applying
the marker.