using PHP

Greg DAVIS
I placed some PHP in the footer as a note which was saved as type HTML
and all of the web narrative pages were generated as '.php' files, BUT,
all of the PHP appeared as text in the footer

Did I do something wrong or can't you do that ?

Greg

Re: using PHP

John Ralls-2

> On Mar 30, 2020, at 6:06 PM, Greg DAVIS <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I placed some PHP in the footer as a note which was saved as type HTML and all of the web narrative pages were generated as '.php' files, BUT, all of the PHP appeared as text in the footer
>
> Did I do something wrong or can't you do that ?

You can't do that. Php is server-side, so no web server, no php interpreter. If you want to insert code in pages for the browser to execute you use javascript.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: using PHP

John Ralls-2

> On Mar 30, 2020, at 8:35 PM, Greg DAVIS <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes I can do that, because the finished pages are going on to a server for all to see, and, I have apache installed on my laptop to make sure the code works.
>
> The problem was me. I have a habit of formatting my notes, mostly to make the text larger than the default of 10 point which also puts every line of code in a <span></span> construct which of course invalidates the finished code.
>
> Thanks for your response, I appreciate getting guidance from the more knowledgeable people on the forum

NP, but please remember to copy the list on all replies.

Regards,
John Ralls