v4.2.0 .deb is 40% smaller than the v4.1.3 .deb file

v4.2.0 .deb is 40% smaller than the v4.1.3 .deb file

Ron Johnson
What was removed, and what dependencies do I need on Ubuntu 14.04 beyond
what's required for v4.1.3 and is listed in
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Linux:Build_from_source#General_requirements_2
?

Thanks

--
"Salads are only for murderers, cole slaw's a fascist regime!"

Re: v4.2.0 .deb is 40% smaller than the v4.1.3 .deb file

Ross Gammon
On 08/09/2015 01:13 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> What was removed, and what dependencies do I need on Ubuntu 14.04 beyond
> what's required for v4.1.3 and is listed in
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Linux:Build_from_source#General_requirements_2
> ?
>
> Thanks

Not sure if this is exactly what you are after (I am assuming you don't
want to compile everything from source).

On Ubuntu/Debian, to find out what packages a package depends on, there
is apt-cache. For example:
$ apt-cache depends gramps

The "Depends" and "Recommends" are normally installed by default when
you install the Gramps from Debian/Ubuntu (not necessarily if you
install the .deb from the Gramps Sourceforge page).

Up until 4.2, no dependencies have changed for Gramps in the 4.x series
(except for Python 2 vs Python 3). Although, some versions of Ubuntu
have not always had the required dependency available. Look at the
backports if this is the case.

Regards,

Ross

Re: v4.2.0 .deb is 40% smaller than the v4.1.3 .deb file

enno
Ron, Ross,
> The "Depends" and "Recommends" are normally installed by default when
> you install the Gramps from Debian/Ubuntu (not necessarily if you
> install the .deb from the Gramps Sourceforge page).
When you install a .deb from our page, the standard installer will check
dependencies, and inform you if anything's wrong.

> Up until 4.2, no dependencies have changed for Gramps in the 4.x
> series (except for Python 2 vs Python 3).
Well, as far as I know they actually have. I think that 4.2 needs a
newer version of Gtk 3 than older Gramps versions, and if there's a
problem with that, the installer will tell you.

regards,

On 08/10/2015 03:40 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Ron, Ross,
>> The "Depends" and "Recommends" are normally installed by default when
>> you install the Gramps from Debian/Ubuntu (not necessarily if you
>> install the .deb from the Gramps Sourceforge page).
> When you install a .deb from our page, the standard installer will check
> dependencies, and inform you if anything's wrong.

"dpkg -i" did not tell me that python3-bsddb3 (a dependency), python3-icu
and python3-pillow were missing.

--
"Salads are only for murderers, cole slaw's a fascist regime!"

Re: v4.2.0 .deb is 40% smaller than the v4.1.3 .deb file

enno
Ron,
> On 08/10/2015 03:40 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>> Ron, Ross,
>>> The "Depends" and "Recommends" are normally installed by default when
>>> you install the Gramps from Debian/Ubuntu (not necessarily if you
>>> install the .deb from the Gramps Sourceforge page).
>> When you install a .deb from our page, the standard installer will check
>> dependencies, and inform you if anything's wrong.
> "dpkg -i" did not tell me that python3-bsddb3 (a dependency), python3-icu
> and python3-pillow were missing.
I know. That was an error in the .deb that I found a few weeks ago. We
have to specify dependencies when building that, and if we skip one, the
installer has no way to find out, so you will find out the hard way.

On 08/11/2015 01:27 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 08/10/2015 03:40 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>> Ron, Ross,
>>> The "Depends" and "Recommends" are normally installed by default when
>>> you install the Gramps from Debian/Ubuntu (not necessarily if you
>>> install the .deb from the Gramps Sourceforge page).
>> When you install a .deb from our page, the standard installer will check
>> dependencies, and inform you if anything's wrong.
>
> "dpkg -i" did not tell me that python3-bsddb3 (a dependency), python3-icu
> and python3-pillow were missing.

# dpkg -i should fail if the dependencies are missing (with gramps
unpacked but not installed). Following this up with # apt-get install -f
should install the dependencies and finish the install of gramps.

If the dependencies are only listed as "Recommends" or "Suggests" in the
debian/control file, you will have to install them manually.

The Recommends & Suggests are "optional" dependencies, and are allocated
according to the recommendations in the gramps README file. There is a
bit of a mismatch though, where Gramps issues warnings on the
commandline for a missing ICU, and in the GUI you get "notices" about
missing osmgpsmap and gexiv (which can be made to go away by ticking the
box).

I would be interested in feedback if any of these "options" are really
more essential than the README would have you believe.

It is possible that whichever version you are installing has an error in
debian/control. If you open the deb file, you can read what is in the
control file.

Cheers,

Ross

Re: v4.2.0 .deb is 40% smaller than the v4.1.3 .deb file

enno
Ross,

> If the dependencies are only listed as "Recommends" or "Suggests" in the
> debian/control file, you will have to install them manually.
>
> The Recommends & Suggests are "optional" dependencies, and are allocated
> according to the recommendations in the gramps README file. There is a
> bit of a mismatch though, where Gramps issues warnings on the
> commandline for a missing ICU, and in the GUI you get "notices" about
> missing osmgpsmap and gexiv (which can be made to go away by ticking the
> box).
>
> I would be interested in feedback if any of these "options" are really
> more essential than the README would have you believe.
Good point. I'm still on 3.4 myself, and assume that ICU is sort of
essential. I say that, because the warning that I get looks a bit scary,
and I like my data to be sorted right. Gexiv and osmgpsmap look more
optional to me, and when I can't find the latter, I just leave it that way.

As a user, I'd probably wish for ICU to become a real dependency, but I
have no idea whether that would restrict the use of Gramps on some
Debian/Mint/Ubuntu versions in any way.

regards,

Re: v4.2.0 .deb is 40% smaller than the v4.1.3 .deb file

Tim Lyons
Administrator
enno wrote
Good point. I'm still on 3.4 myself, and assume that ICU is sort of
essential. I say that, because the warning that I get looks a bit scary,
and I like my data to be sorted right. Gexiv and osmgpsmap look more
optional to me, and when I can't find the latter, I just leave it that way.

As a user, I'd probably wish for ICU to become a real dependency, but I
have no idea whether that would restrict the use of Gramps on some
Debian/Mint/Ubuntu versions in any way.
Yes, I think ICU should become a real dependency at least in Gramps 5.x. I can't imagine there is any environment where it is problematic, it has been available for a long time.

Tim