which Linux desktop does gramps support?

which Linux desktop does gramps support?

TJMcK
I have used many different Linux desktops.  Currently I'm using Cinnamon (under Mint16).  But I've noticed that gramps windows do not always behave as expected (as other apps do).  I don't think that these issues are just because gramps is run as a python app, as I know that other python apps do not respond as gramps does.

So, before I start reporting bugs related to window control, can anyone tell me if there is a specific destop that gramps supports?  And I'd like to know others opinions on which desktop works "best" with gramps. (I'm happy to use almost any desktop -- except maybe KDE -- and will switch if needed.)

Re: which Linux desktop does gramps support?

I think it's not Desktop Environment as much as Gtk version.  Gramps v3.4.x
requires Gtk2, whereas v4.0.x requires Gtk3.

Thus, it works pretty well in Ubuntu 13.10 (missing horizontal scroll bars,
which I didn't notice for a long time), but I don't think 4.0.x worked in 13.04.

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: which Linux desktop does gramps support?

Peter_Mau
I use 3.4.8 on my Linux systems as I run Ubuntu 12.04 x 2, Linux-Mint-Mate-13 and my new desktop will be Linux-Mint-Mate-17. As the files are interchangeable with version 4 there seems no current reason to need version 4 unless you can guarantee all your systems will run with it. I am not certain that 4 will run with any of my systems but I will check with Mate-17 when I am up and running. I think GRAMPS is great. Peter

Re: which Linux desktop does gramps support?

TJMcK
Peter_Mau wrote
Peter, an example of a Mint Cinnamon feature that does not work for me (when using gramps) is the snap mode.
Does this work for you? (I'm using v.3.4.8 as well.)

On 06/28/2014 05:14 PM, TJMcK wrote:
> Peter_Mau wrote
>> I use 3.4.8 on my Linux systems as I run Ubuntu 12.04 x 2,
>> Linux-Mint-Mate-13 and my new desktop will be Linux-Mint-Mate-17.
> Peter, an example of a Mint Cinnamon feature that does not work for me (when
> using gramps) is the snap mode.
> Does this work for you? (I'm using v.3.4.8 as well.)

What is snap mode?

On 28/06/14 18:27, Paul Kilgo wrote:
> Sorry -- I should clarify. The Gramplets I use (Statistics/Age
> Stats/Top Surnames) have a "Quick View" window which pops up when you
> double click on them. It appears to filter individuals based on a
> criteria. It claims to match records, but the list in the UI is never
> populated with those records. This is the 4.0.4 package on Ubuntu
> 14.04 in the trusty-backports repository.

Please report this as a bug on the bug tracker.

I just tested the Top Surnames gramplet.  The table is initially empty
but displays the records when clicking on a column heading. This is a
bug which we will try to get fixed in time for the next maintenance release.

Re: which Linux desktop does gramps support?

Alain AUPEIX
Le 28/06/2014 19:15, Paul Kilgo a écrit :
Gramps 4.0.3 had a lot of presentation issues for me, which was (is?) the version offered in the official Ubuntu repositories. I eventually installed 4.0.4 which was in the trusty-proposed repository. It works fine for me under Unity which I expect other Gnome-based desktop managers should behave similarly. The only outstanding issue I can think of at the moment is the "Filter" tab does not seem to work as expected for me. What version are you using?
I have tried from 3.4.8 to 4.1.0 under Xubuntu 14.04, and there are few packets which are missing and make Graphic view to crash. Adding these packets:
gir1.2-pyexiv2,
libosmgpsmap and python-osmgpsmap version 1.0 (for Ubuntu 14.10 from launchpad as it doesn't exist for Ubuntu 14.04)
solved the crash problem with 4.1.0, but there is always a trash display for Graphic view ...
No problem with 3.4.8 under Ubuntu 12.04

A+
--

Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/

U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.8-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2014-06-27 10:45) | HbIDE (Rev.294) | Five.Linux (r138) | Hw.Gui (2269)

Re: which Linux desktop does gramps support?

Douglas Bainbridge
On 29/06/14 08:53, Alain Aupeix wrote:

> Le 28/06/2014 19:15, Paul Kilgo a écrit :
> > Gramps 4.0.3 had a lot of presentation issues for me, which was (is?) the
> > version offered in the official Ubuntu repositories. I eventually installed
> > 4.0.4 which was in the trusty-proposed repository. It works fine for me under
> > Unity which I expect other Gnome-based desktop managers should behave
> > similarly. The only outstanding issue I can think of at the moment is the
> > "Filter" tab does not seem to work as expected for me. What version are you using?
> I have tried from 3.4.8 to 4.1.0 under Xubuntu 14.04, and there are few packets
> which are missing and make Graphic view to crash. Adding these packets:
> gir1.2-pyexiv2,
> libosmgpsmap and python-osmgpsmap version 1.0 (for Ubuntu 14.10 from launchpad
> as it doesn't exist for Ubuntu 14.04)
> solved the crash problem with 4.1.0, but there is always a trash display for
> Graphic view ...
> No problem with 3.4.8 under Ubuntu 12.04
>
> A+

No problem with 4.1.1 (gtk3.8.4, python3.3.3) under Linux
Mint Debian Update 8.
Graphic view also works OK.

Doug

Re: which Linux desktop does gramps support?

Gerrit
Am 28.06.2014 18:47, schrieb TJMcK:
> I have used many different Linux desktops.  Currently I'm using Cinnamon
> (under Mint16).  But I've noticed that gramps windows do not always behave
> as expected (as other apps do).  I don't think that these issues are just
> because gramps is run as a python app, as I know that other python apps do
> not respond as gramps does.

Hello,

I don’t think Python is the culprit, but rather the ugliest toolkit on
the planet: GTK ;)

Gramps in PyQt would be so godlike... Especially if used on Windows.

(Sorry for the rant :D)

Re: which Linux desktop does gramps support?

Patricia J. Hawkins
Just realized I didn't reply-all, so this only went to Paul; sending to
the list, since it's an easy work-around for those using quick-view in 4.04.

PK> Sorry -- I should clarify. The Gramplets I use (Statistics/Age Stats/
PK> Top Surnames) have a "Quick View" window which pops up when you
PK> double click on them. It appears to filter individuals based on a
PK> criteria. It claims to match records, but the list in the UI is never
PK> populated with those records.

I have found that the records in the "quick view" aren't initially
displayed, but if I click on a header they display. For instance, bring
up the Father Lineage quickview, and click on "Name Father."

(This is also the 4.0.4 package on Ubuntu 14.04 in the trusty-backports

--
Patricia J. Hawkins

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please report this as a bug on the bug tracker.

Just finished writing the report:

I also observed clicking the column headings causes the data to
appear. Thanks all for the tip!

Re: which Linux desktop does gramps support?

beagle10

I installed Gramps (v4.0.3-1) from the software manager of Linux Mint 17 and experience following problems.

Old notes are retained; however, I can not enter new notes under person.

Scrolling down to select a person is very slow.

At start, I see that Modules GExiv2 and OsmGps are missing.

I don't know if these are already known problems.

Thanks,