which version should i use?

bill .
Hi all...

I am testing 3 different linux distros, but i am a novice and only use the version of a program the particular "add software" module gives me.

On Sabayon Gramps 3.4.5-1 installs and seems to work fine with no errors.

Xubuntu loads Gramps 4.0.4-1 but notes "OsmGpsMap module not loaded" and "GExiv2 module not loaded."

Manjaro gives me Gramps 4.1.1-1, but also with the previous modules not loaded.

My questions are, what are these modules "not loaded" in the latter 2, and what do they do? Are they loaded in the first one, or simply weren't available then? Not willing to try building them further, which of the three versions would be best for me? Many thanks for your input!
peace
-bill

Re: which version should i use?

Ron Johnson
What version of Xubuntu?

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: which version should i use?

Graham P Davis
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 02:19:43 -0600
"bill ." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> I am testing 3 different linux distros, but i am a novice and only
> use the version of a program the particular "add software" module
> gives me.
>
> On Sabayon Gramps 3.4.5-1 installs and seems to work fine with no
> errors.
>
> Xubuntu loads Gramps 4.0.4-1 but notes "OsmGpsMap module not loaded"
> and "GExiv2 module not loaded."
>
> Manjaro gives me Gramps 4.1.1-1, but also with the previous modules
> not loaded.
>
> My questions are, what are these modules "not loaded" in the latter
> 2, and what do they do? Are they loaded in the first one, or simply
> weren't available then? Not willing to try building them further,
> which of the three versions would be best for me? Many thanks for
> your input! peace -bill

You could try openSUSE as, although these problems did exist last
year on that distribution, they were fixed. Latest version of Gramps
that they provide is 4.1.1.

--
Graham Davis  [Retired Fortran programmer - now a mere computer user]
openSUSE Tumbleweed (64-bit); KDE 4.14.4; Kernel: 3.18.3;

Re: which version should i use?

Ross Gammon
On 02/13/2015 09:19 AM, bill . wrote:
> Hi all...

[...]

> Xubuntu loads Gramps 4.0.4-1 but notes "OsmGpsMap module not loaded" and
> "GExiv2 module not loaded."

[...]

> My questions are, what are these modules "not loaded" in the latter 2,
> and what do they do? Are they loaded in the first one, or simply weren't
> available then? Not willing to try building them further, which of the
> three versions would be best for me? Many thanks for your input!
> peace
> -bill

You are not the first to ask about these "not loaded" messages.
Basically, these extra libraries are optional and Gramps will work
perfectly fine without them. If you don't need them, you can make the
message go away the next time you start Gramps by "checking" the box on
the message.

If you would like to work with maps inside Gramps (the Geography View),
or work with multimedia meta-data within Gramps, you will need to
install/compile the relevant library. Then the messages will stop appearing.

Regards,

Ross

Re: which version should i use?

Serge Noiraud-2
Le 13/02/2015 13:39, Ron Johnson a écrit :
What version of Xubuntu?

Good question ? 14.04 ? 14.10 ?
On 02/13/2015 02:19 AM, bill . wrote:
Hi all...

I am testing 3 different linux distros, but i am a novice and only use the version of a program the particular "add software" module gives me.

On Sabayon Gramps 3.4.5-1 installs and seems to work fine with no errors.
gramps 3.4.5 use gtk2 so, we use python-osmgpsmap 0.73

Xubuntu loads Gramps 4.0.4-1 but notes "OsmGpsMap module not loaded" and "GExiv2 module not loaded."
When you use 4.x of gramps, you need to use gtk3 modules, so you need to install :
 - gir1.2-osmgpsmap
 - and 1.0 version of libosmgpsmap.
Depending of your *ubuntu distrib, this is not always done.

Manjaro gives me Gramps 4.1.1-1, but also with the previous modules not loaded.
Same problem for 4.1

My questions are, what are these modules "not loaded" in the latter 2, and what do they do? Are they loaded in the first one, or simply weren't available then? Not willing to try building them further, which of the three versions would be best for me? Many thanks for your input!
peace
-bill
For my development usage of 3.4 and 4.x simultaneously, all the libraries are installed :
I have on my ubuntu 14.04 :
# dpkg -l | grep osmgpsmap
ii  gir1.2-osmgpsmap-1.0            1.0.2-1                 amd64        GTK+ library to embed OpenStreetMap maps - Python bindings
ii  libosmgpsmap-1.0-0:amd64    1.0.2-1                 amd64        GTK+ library to embed OpenStreetMap maps
ii  libosmgpsmap2:amd64            0.7.3-3ubuntu1   amd64        GTK+ library to embed OpenStreetMap maps
ii  python-osmgpsmap                 0.7.3-3ubuntu1   amd64        GTK+ library to embed OpenStreetMap maps - Python bindings

Serge

Re: which version should i use?

bill .
Hi, and thanks for the info!

So the osmgpsmap module might show a map with the location of a cemetery, place of birth, etc? Is that the idea?

And by multimedia meta-data, might that be a movie clip of a person as opposed to a simple jpg?

If so, i don't think i require either. I'm not very experienced at either genealogy or the software. Just looking for a good linux program to start my tree. As long as the basics work, I'm good.

Sorry if i was too vague on my distros. I'm currently mostly using Xubuntu 14.10 (but have seen the same 'missing module' notes on earlier Unity versions. Sabayon 15.02. Manjaro 0.8.12 (all with xfce). So all things being equal, i should probably go with the one having the latest version 'out of the box' Manjaro or perhaps Xubuntu? Many thanks for everyone's time and comments. I'm sure to have more as i delve into this. I haven't tried since Family Tree Maker for Mac around 2000!

peace
-bill

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 17:45:52 +0100
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] which version should i use?

On 02/13/2015 09:19 AM, bill . wrote:
> Hi all...

[...]

> Xubuntu loads Gramps 4.0.4-1 but notes "OsmGpsMap module not loaded" and
> "GExiv2 module not loaded."

[...]

> My questions are, what are these modules "not loaded" in the latter 2,
> and what do they do? Are they loaded in the first one, or simply weren't
> available then? Not willing to try building them further, which of the
> three versions would be best for me? Many thanks for your input!
> peace
> -bill

You are not the first to ask about these "not loaded" messages.
Basically, these extra libraries are optional and Gramps will work
perfectly fine without them. If you don't need them, you can make the
message go away the next time you start Gramps by "checking" the box on
the message.

If you would like to work with maps inside Gramps (the Geography View),
or work with multimedia meta-data within Gramps, you will need to
install/compile the relevant library. Then the messages will stop appearing.

Regards,

Ross

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dive into the World of Parallel Programming. The Go Parallel Website, sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/

Re: which version should i use?

enno
Hi Bill,
So the osmgpsmap module might show a map with the location of a cemetery, place of birth, etc? Is that the idea?
Yes.
And by multimedia meta-data, might that be a movie clip of a person as opposed to a simple jpg?
No. Meta-data is the extra information that's inside a movie clip or picture, like a title, camera type, date and time, exposure information, that kind of things.
Just looking for a good linux program to start my tree. As long as the basics work, I'm good.
Great. That's why we're here.
Sorry if i was too vague on my distros. I'm currently mostly using Xubuntu 14.10 (but have seen the same 'missing module' notes on earlier Unity versions. Sabayon 15.02. Manjaro 0.8.12 (all with xfce). So all things being equal, i should probably go with the one having the latest version 'out of the box' Manjaro or perhaps Xubuntu? Many thanks for everyone's time and comments. I'm sure to have more as i delve into this. I haven't tried since Family Tree Maker for Mac around 2000!
If you feel comfortable with Xubuntu 14.10, I suggest that you stay with that. I use Linux Mint 17.1 myself, which uses the same software base, meaning that you probably get Gramps 4.0.3 out of the box.

This does not imply that you most use 4.0.3. If you visit our download page, you'll see that version 4.1.1 is labeled advanced users only, but when you click that link, you will see that advanced means downloading a .deb file, and double-clicking that to install. That's not very advanced, is it?

When you install 4.1.1, you get a different way of handling locations, which work like a tree, so that you can specify a city as part of a county, which is part of a state, etc., all according to how that location was defined at the time an ancestor lived there. This may look like more work than typing something like Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Nederland in a single field, and in fact it is, but when you start a new tree, you may jump in right away. Using a Gramps version from our own download site will also give you bug fixes way faster than through the Linux repositories, so if you can handle the .deb, I strongly advise to use that, and ignore the 'official' version in your Linux software manager.

My own location database is quite a mess, so I'm not ready for this 4.1.1 myself, but if you like the idea, I recommend that you give it a try. With many developers working on the latest Ubuntu variants, you can be quite sure that 4.1.1 will work on your Xubuntu too.

regards,

Re: which version should i use?

Tim Lyons
Administrator
enno wrote
If you feel comfortable with Xubuntu 14.10, I suggest that you stay with
that. I use Linux Mint 17.1 myself, which uses the same software base,
meaning that you probably get Gramps 4.0.3 out of the box.
I agree with Enno, I'd stick with the released Xubuntu 14.10 and Gramps 4.0.3 out of the box.

I wouldn't go up to Gramps 4.1.x, for two reasons:
(a) it seems to be less stable than other versions
(b) the new location hierarchy needs more work to get your own data in order

Tim.

Re: which version should i use?

Paul Franklin-5
If I was contemplating using 4.0.3 I'd use 4.0.4 instead.

Re: which version should i use?

Sean
Is there any problem with installing 4.1.1. over 4.0.3 or should you start from scratch (after exporting you db obvs)?

Re: which version should i use?

On Ubuntu (since there's a package at sourceforge.net, I upgraded directly
from 4.0.4 to 4.1.1.  That replaces the 4.0.3 files with 4.1.1 files.  Don't
know about from source or using Windows AIO.

On 02/19/2015 10:09 PM, Sean wrote:
> Is there any problem with installing 4.1.1. over 4.0.3 or should you start
> from scratch (after exporting you db obvs)?

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: which version should i use?

Sean
This wouldn’t work for me at all on Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (gramps 4.0.3). I had to uninstall and reinstall from the .deb. Did the name change? 4.0.3 appears in Synaptic as gramps, but the deb is python-gramps.

It seems to be running OK (despite some freezes) so all I need to do now is figure out how things like addresses fit into the new place hierarchy. I like the approach, but the implementation seems a little messy.

Re: which version should i use?

You know, I forgot all about the name change.  The package should have a
Conflicts entry so as to automatically remove the old version.  Oh well.

Regarding the new place hierarchy, the recommendation is to clean up your
Places in v4.0 before upgrading to v4.1.  That makes life a lot easier.

On 20/02/15 05:25, Sean wrote:
> This wouldn’t work for me at all on Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (gramps 4.0.3). I had
> to uninstall and reinstall from the .deb. Did the name change? 4.0.3 appears
> in Synaptic as gramps, but the deb is python-gramps.
>
> It seems to be running OK (despite some freezes) so all I need to do now is
> figure out how things like addresses fit into the new place hierarchy. I
> like the approach, but the implementation seems a little messy.

The freezes are caused by a Gtk bug which has been fixed, but isn't
available in Ubuntu 14.04.  You will have to wait until Ubuntu 15.04 on
23rd April for that.

To get good results in the upgrade, make sure that your main locations
contain all the information in the place names.  Check that the place
tree view looks sensible.

If you don't use main locations at all, I have written a tool that
attempts to build a hierarchy from the place names alone.  However, this
is not the recommended approach.

Make sure to create a Gramps XML backup before the upgrade.  Perform the
upgrade by importing this backup into an empty database.

Please give us some feedback.  What do you find messy?  The next
release, on 28th Feb, will contain some improvements suggested by users.

Re: which version should i use?

Sean
What I found messy was the way the old place data was converted. Not a big deal for me as I only had a handful of places set up anyway. It’s hard to give details without going back and doing it again, but two things that stood out:

- alternate names completely disappeared (or got transferred to some other part of the hierarchy, not the lowest item)
- for buildings the Name was kept in the Title, but the street line from the address ended up in the Name and the Type was set to Street. With the way the Title auto-updates you could easily lose the original name if you edited the wrong field.

It’s messy to have a format that encourages users to input an address, but then change to a format that has no clear/standard way of keeping an address. Buildings naturally have addresses and often people interested in their family history will want to visit these addresses so having a standard way of including that data would be a good thing! Longitude & latitude are great too, but not so good when asking directions.

An oddity of my own creation was that I had recorded (Irish) Baronies under State, which is a higher level than County when Baronies are actually lower. Good that I can now just create a Barony level though.

BTW the way the Citation dialog works now is exactly how I though it should work before. Very tedious before to create dummy Sources when inputting Citations, then have to go and merge them with the real sources later.

Re: which version should i use?

Nick Hall
On 21/02/15 02:27, Sean wrote:
> What I found messy was the way the old place data was converted. Not a big
> deal for me as I only had a handful of places set up anyway. It’s hard to
> give details without going back and doing it again, but two things that
> stood out:
>
> - alternate names completely disappeared (or got transferred to some other
> part of the hierarchy, not the lowest item)

Do you mean alternate locations?  They are transferred without
conversion.  The editor tab only appears if when an upgraded database
contains alternate locations.  They are no longer available for new
databases.

> - for buildings the Name was kept in the Title, but the street line from the
> address ended up in the Name and the Type was set to Street. With the way
> the Title auto-updates you could easily lose the original name if you edited
> the wrong field.

This has been fixed in v4.1.2.  Titles are not automatically updated in
the editor, instead there is an option to let the place displayer
generate titles.

Generating the place hierarchy during the upgrade is difficult.  I even
considered not providing the facility.  Users use the place name field
in a variety of different ways, and in the end I decided that it was
only practical to use the fields in the main location.

> It’s messy to have a format that encourages users to input an address, but
> then change to a format that has no clear/standard way of keeping an
> address. Buildings naturally have addresses and often people interested in
> their family history will want to visit these addresses so having a standard
> way of including that data would be a good thing! Longitude & latitude are
> great too, but not so good when asking directions.

The place hierarchy is intentionally very flexible.

The way that I record addresses is in a place with type "Street". You
can then add another place below "Street" to record a building, church,
cemetery etc...

Some people want to record the house number as an extra level below
"Street".  Apartments can be grouped together into a "Building". For
Japanese places "Block" will be used rather than "Street".

Perhaps I should have created a pre-defined place type called "Address"?

> An oddity of my own creation was that I had recorded (Irish) Baronies under
> State, which is a higher level than County when Baronies are actually lower.
> Good that I can now just create a Barony level though.

Yes.  Creating a custom type for "Barony" is a good idea.

It is unfortunate that you had to sort out the levels, but at least you
only have to do it once.

This is the sort of data that is difficult to anticipate.  The contents
of the old place name field is even more difficult.

> BTW the way the Citation dialog works now is exactly how I though it should
> work before. Very tedious before to create dummy Sources when inputting
> Citations, then have to go and merge them with the real sources later.

We get it right sometimes.  :)

Thanks for your feedback.  It is the only way we get to know what our
users actually think.