why have the $user/.gramps/thumb directory?

why have the $user/.gramps/thumb directory?

Duncan Lithgow-2
Gnome and I assume KDE made their own thumbnails - so why are we making
them ourselves and not joining that system?

Duncan

Re: why have the $user/.gramps/thumb directory?

Luigi Toscano
Duncan Lithgow ha scritto:
> Gnome and I assume KDE made their own thumbnails - so why are we making
> them ourselves and not joining that system?

FYI
http://people.freedesktop.org/~vuntz/thumbnail-spec-cache/

--
Luigi

Re: why have the $user/.gramps/thumb directory?

Benny Malengier
Gramps works on Windows and MAC OS X and is not tied to Gnome or KDE to install. Only GTK. So are the extra dependencies if we use these systems (or the freedesktop one) problematic?

I can image we could have a nice speedup if we use a thumbnail system which is not self implemented (especially with caching and stuff), but we need to keep the dependencies of GRAMPS low.
For those interested, the code is in src/ThumbNails.py

Benny

2008/3/16, Luigi Toscano <[hidden email]>:
Duncan Lithgow ha scritto:

> Gnome and I assume KDE made their own thumbnails - so why are we making
> them ourselves and not joining that system?

FYI
http://people.freedesktop.org/~vuntz/thumbnail-spec-cache/

--

Luigi

Re: why have the $user/.gramps/thumb directory?

Raphael Ackermann
Duncan,

are you talking about the icons that are used in Gramps or about
thumbnails of the images in the media/gallery section?
AFAIK some icons are reused from the gnome project, there is also a
wiki page about the move from the old icons to the new icons. It might
have more information about icon usage as well.

Raphael

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gnome and I assume KDE made their own thumbnails - so why are we making
>  them ourselves and not joining that system?
>
>  Duncan

Re: why have the $user/.gramps/thumb directory?

Duncan Lithgow-2
My question is about thumbnails, not icons.

Duncan

Re: why have the $user/.gramps/thumb directory?

Eero Tamminen-3

On Monday 17 March 2008, Benny Malengier wrote:
> Gramps works on Windows and MAC OS X and is not tied to Gnome or KDE to
> install. Only GTK. So are the extra dependencies if we use these systems
> (or the freedesktop one) problematic?
>
> I can image we could have a nice speedup if we use a thumbnail system
> which is not self implemented (especially with caching and stuff), but we
> need to keep the dependencies of GRAMPS low.
> For those interested, the code is in src/ThumbNails.py

Btw. thumbnails can have their own performance impact, so the spec
might be changing:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2007-August/008750.html

        - Eero